North Hopkins FCCLA and Beta Club will honor the late Barbara Cockrum with a veterans’ hospital drive. Cockrum continued to be active at the school even after retiring, often serving as a substitute teacher and each year hosting an event to benefit the veterans at the Bonham hospital.
In order to honor the much-loved educator, the NHISD FCCLA and Beta Clubs this year will host the inaugural Veterans Hospital Drive in honor of Mrs. Barbara Cockrum. Club members hope those who knew Mrs. Cockrum will help keep her memory and legacy alive by making this year’s event the biggest collection drive at the school year.
Donated items will go to the VA Hospital in Bonham for the veterans being treated at the facility. The VA Hospital has very specific guidelines regarding what they can accept. All items must be new and be the specific items on the list below.
- Athletic shorts — Men’s, all sizes
- Sweat Pants and Tops — Men’s large to 2XL
- Zip-up sweat jackets — Men’s sizes medium to Xl
- House shoes with rubber soles — Men’s sizes 10, 11 and 12
- Personal hygiene/Toiletry Items
- Body Wash (no bar soap or hotel/motel soap or toiletries)
- Denture adhesive and cleaner
- Snacks (must be individually wrapped)
- Peanut butter and/or cheese crackers
- granola bars
- bottled water
- ground coffee
- liquid creamer
Anyone who would like to help NHISD honor Cockrum by blessing the veterans who served, may make donations of any of the items above by Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, at the designated location at the school.