There are a lot of activities offered at and hosted by the Senior Citizens Center, including ongoing weekly activities as well as special monthly and annual events.
” This is a busy place. Come and reconnect with some old friends or meet some new ones. The coffee pot is always on complements of Guaranty Bank,” said Karon Weatherman, program and marketing director for the Senior Citizens Center.
Weatherman has provided the following guide to ensure those interested can be sure to pencil these events on their calendar so they don’t miss anything.
June special events
- Saturday, June 1, 6 p.m. — 2019 Ms Hopkins County Senior Classic Pageant
- PM at the Hopkins County Civic Center.
- Monday, June 10, 1 p.m. — First Meeting of the “Bright Star Writing Group”
- Thursday, June 13th 1 p.m. — Pie and Coffee with Debbie Shelley Turning 65
- Saturday, June 29, 10 a.m. — Summer 42 Tournament
July Special Events
- Thursday, July 11, 2 p.m. — 3rd Annual Ice Cream Freeze Off
- Saturday, July 27, 6 p.m. — Annual Senior Citizens Prom “Under The Big Top”
August Special Event
- Thursday, Aug. 29, 9 a.m. — Senior Summer Olympics at The ROC
Weekly and Monthly Events
- Fit and Strong on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30 a.m.
- BINGO is every Wednesday and Friday at 9:30 a.m.
- 42 is played every Wednesday and Friday at 12:30 p.m. They also play on the first Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Bridge is played at 12:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays, and on the first and third Thursdays
- Painting Class is Every Tuesday at 10 a.m.
- Wreath making class is the third Monday at 1:30 p.m.
- Shawls of Love is the 4th Monday at 10 a.m.
- ACTS of Love is the 1st Monday at 11 a.m.
- LCR (Left Center Right) is the second Thursday at 10:30 a.m.
- BUNCO is the fourth Thursday at 1 p.m.
- Monthly Birthday Party is the fourth Friday at 10:45 a.m.
- Community Classroom is the first Friday at 10:45 a.m.
- Law School Lunch is once a Quarter on the second Monday of the month at 12 noon.
- Wahoo is played every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.
- Line Dancing is the first and third Tuesday at 1 p.m.
- Bright Star Writing Group meets the second Monday at 1 p.m.
- Meal A Day is served Monday-Friday, 10-11:30 a.m. for $2 a plate
The Senior Citizens Center is located at 150 MLK Jr. Drive in Sulphur Springs, and is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday. For additional information about these and other activities, stop by the center, call 903-885-1661 or send an email to [email protected], check out the Senior Citizens Center’s webpage.