Smiley face

Commissioners Proclaim 2018 Sesquicentennial Year of Celebration Honoring Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church; Nix Burn Ban at This Time

Smiley face

WHEREAS, We, the people of Hopkins County, in the sight of our Lord Jesus Christ, celebrate and honor His people, the former and present members of Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church of Sulphur Springs, Texas for one hundred, fifty years of service to Him; and 

WHEREAS, In 1868 God gave a group of innovative trailblazers, a vision to help establish a permanent place of worship, which began in Old Tarrant, Texas and was named Old Tarrant Baptist Church. In 1876, a vision for a greater church provided a large white frame building facing Front Street under the leadership of the church’s first pastor of record, Rev. Mike Wiggins. In 1897, another building was erected, and named Morning Chapel Baptist Church.  Rev. Elias Sullivan hauled the first load of lumber to begin construction of this building. Rev. Henry Richmond was called to pastor after the death of Rev. Sullivan, and completed the building of the church.  On January 8, 1974, the church structure was completely destroyed by fire. Rev. D. l. Ellison served as pastor during this time.  This tragic event did not dampen the spirits of the congregation, but they were renewed, and transformed with a steadfast spirit, and resilience like no other. Worship services continued in the Junior High School Auditorium and neighboring churches of Sulphur Springs; and 

WHEREAS,In the months to follow, God touched the hearts of many who contributed to the financial efforts to rebuild the church. A group of businessmen of Sulphur Springs established a temporary organization named “Friends of Morning Chapel” who deposited funds nearing eighteen thousand dollars into a saving account for the construction of the new Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church.  On November 10, 1974, a march from the Junior High School Gymnasium to the newly constructed church was celebrated with a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. On March 23, 1975, a Dedication Service for the new structure was held. The theme for that day was “To God Be The Glory”. The Cornerstone Service was held August 31, 1975 followed by a Mortgage Burning Ceremony as the Membership met their Goal to pay-off the Mortgage on August 19, 1990. Praise God from whom all blessings flow; and 

WHEREAS,    In later years, with every new pastor, leadership and the Membership of Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, it appeared that God gave a vision to do something that would improve and enrich the church family.  Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church has members from all over Sulphur Springs Hopkins County and abroad. Under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, the church’s current leader, Dr. H. B. Nash Sr. installed February 15, 1998, traveled with Fruitful Harvest International Ministries in 2008 on an Evangelism Crusade to Mozambique, Africa which resulted in the planting of Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Maxixe, Mozambique. The Members of Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church of Sulphur Springs were led to spiritually and financially support the church.  In 2009, two more churches, also named Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, were planted by the Church of Maxixe.  In 2011, a fourth Church was added, and today nineteen Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist churches in Mozambique serve over 4,000 members; and

WHEREAS,On May 8, 2011, the State of Texas designated Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church as a State Historical Site. The Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church has undergone many transformations as they celebrate this Sesquicentennial Church Celebration, and their theme is “Building Inside (Ephesians 4:1-16), Sharing Outside (Matthew 28 18-20).” “To God Be The Glory.” NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the said Hopkins County Judge, Robert Newsom, hereby proclaims this year, 2018, as “The Sesquicentennial Year of Celebration”~ ~ ~Morning Chapel Missionary Baptist Church

Smiley face

Author: Staff Reporter

Share This Post On