44th Annual “Christmas Joys” Announced
The word is apparently getting out that we are now taking reservations for the 44th annual “Christmas Joys” program. It is shaping up to be a fantastic event, and I want to share the details.
The sub-theme is “Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year”, and it will include demonstrations on fantastic recipes for gift-giving (or keeping!), craft ideas for both adults and kids, family meal time activities, and much more. Delicious refreshments, door prizes, and goody bags for all will round out the event. Sessions fill quickly, so please don’t delay in calling our office to reserve a seat! Here are the details:
- What: “Christmas Joys – Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year”
- When: Monday, November 6, 2017
- Time: 1:30 p.m., repeated at 5:30 p.m.
- Where: Southwest Dairy Museum, 1210 W. Houston, Sulphur Springs
- Cost: $5 payable at the door
- Note: You MUST call 903-885-3443 to reserve a seat. We MUST have a name and phone number for each seat reserved. Limited to the first 75 per session.
I will be presenting the same program on Thursday, November 2nd at the Delta County Civic Center, 2:00 p.m. for the Delta County group. If the Sulphur Springs sessions fill before you have a chance to reserve a seat, let me know and I can add you to the Delta County session – same great program, refreshments included!
Two More Events
As a member of the Fall Festival Board, I am responsible for two large events, and you are encouraged to participate or attend! I’ll start with the Creative Arts Contest and tell you about the Arts & Crafts Show next week! Similar to the Creative Arts Contest at the state fair, participants can enter items to be judged in our Hopkins County Creative Arts Contest. Below is a list of categories:
– Art: oil, water color, ink, rub outs, pencil, acrylic, paper tole, crayon, spray paint, miscellaneous
– Bake show: breads, cakes, pies, cookies, candy
– Clothing: classic, children’s wear, everyday casual, wearable art
– Creative Crafts: crafts, ceramics, stained glass, painted household accessories, miscellaneous
– Decorated cakes: will not be cut – judged on appearance, difficulty, originality, workmanship
– Food preservation: canned vegetables, canned fruits, jams, preserves, fruit butters, jellies, pickles, relish, pickled vegetables, dehydrated foods, miscellaneous
– Handiwork: knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint, sewn items, beadwork, other fabric/fiber work
– Holiday Season: Christmas, tablecloth (any holiday), decorations (other than Christmas), wreath/door hanging, nativity scenes
– Horticulture: agricultural products, cut flower arrangements, potted plants, hanging baskets, succulents/cactus, dried, gourds, herbs
– Photography: (black & white and color in all classes) portrait, scenic, still life, animals, people, special effects, floral, architectural, grouping
– Quilts: hand quilted, machine quilted, combination methods, baby quilts, quilted items
– Woodworking: kits, inlaid wood, mosaic wood art, furniture, wall hanging/crosses, wood carving, yard art, rustic art, birdhouses, toys, miscellaneous
In addition, an assisted living/nursing home division is available.
Entries are limited to Hopkins County residents due to space limitations. Items must have been made within the past year (September 2016 to October, 2017). Participants may enter as many divisions and classes as desired, but may not compete against themselves in the same class. An entry fee of only $1 will be assessed, regardless of how many items are entered. Students entering as part of a class and 4-H members may enter at no cost.
Entries will be taken Thursday, October 26 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., and Friday, October 27 from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. at the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center. You may also take entries to the Extension Office Monday thru Wednesday, October 23-25, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., but large, heavy, or fragile items must be taken to the High school on Thursday or Friday.
Age divisions are: children (up to age 10); Youth (ages 11-19); adults (ages 20-69); senior Texans (70 & above); and assisted living/nursing home residents. Labels to attach to entries will be provided at registration.
Entries will be judged on Friday, October 27 starting at 10:00 a.m. and items will be on display to the public Friday afternoon in the Conference Center from approximately 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., and Saturday, October 28, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show winners will have pictures taken at 1:30, after which all entries may be picked up. For a complete set of guidelines and division descriptions, go to: http://Hopkins.agrilife.org and click on ‘publications’ or go to the Hopkins County Fall Festival website and click on ‘forms.’ If you have questions, call 903-885-3443.
Lessons from a pencil maker: Everything you do will leave a mark – make sure it is a good mark!