National 4-H Week – Join us for the Festivities!
Hopkins County 4-H’ers will be among thousands across the state celebrating National 4-H Week, October 4 thru 10. A full slate of activities will put our 4-H members in the limelight:
- Starting on Saturday, October 3, you will find our youth “tying the town green!” as they attach green ribbons to lamp posts, business doors, and the courthouse railing.
- On Sunday, October 4, we are encouraging our youth to attend the church of their choice as part of National 4-H Sunday.
- Monday, October 5, we invite everyone to join us on the downtown square, Celebration Plaza, at 5:00 p.m., for the reading of the 4-H Proclamation, celebration cake, and 4-H exhibits. 4-H registration information, 4-H Gazette newsletters, and other information will be available.
- Monday thru Wednesday, October 5th thru 7th, entries will be taken for the 4-H project show. A full list of categories was mailed to each 4-H member, so we encourage each of them to enter! Items may be brought to the Extension Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. The projects will be judged on Thursday, October 8.
- Saturday, October 10th is the statewide “One Day 4-H” community Service project. Our Hopkins County 4-H members will be planting trees as part of the project. Parents, 4-H leaders, and 4-H’ers will gather at the Extension Office at 10:00 a.m. to begin the project.
- Monday & Tuesday, October 12 and 13, 4-H Project Show entries will be on display at the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office, 1200-B W. Houston Street, Sulphur Springs. We encourage the public to drop by and take a look!
- October 7th thru October 18th is the 2015 Fall 4-H Tractor Supply Paper Clover Campaign. During this time period, customers are encouraged to give an extra dollar at check-out, with proceeds benefitting our local 4-H program.
4-H is the country’s largest youth organization, and in Hopkins County, we currently have five clubs – Dike, Infinity, Miller Grove, Paws, and Stars of Texas. Project participation ranges from livestock to public speaking, foods & nutrition to photography, Clothing & textiles to shooting sports, and soon, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) to leadership, and so much more! The 4-H Gazette newsletter is prepared 6 times a year, with information on upcoming events, opportunities, deadlines, and 4-H’er recognition. Enrollment for the 2015/2016 year is now under way. Contact our office to learn more – 903-885-3443.
Fabulous Fall Fun Deadline Approaching
This is the last call for “Fabulous Fall Fun”, scheduled for Friday, October 9, 2015. Each year, our multi-county FCS team sponsors an event, and this is it! Fabulous Fall Fun will be held at Emory Baptist Church in Emory (just a few minutes south of Sulphur Springs on Highway 19), with sign-in starting at 9:00 a.m., followed by the program from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Fall gardening, recipe demonstrations, fall fashion tips, fall decorating, and the Dinner Tonight website will all be featured. The cost is $10, which includes a cookbook, door prizes, goody bags, and refreshments.
The deadline to register is Friday, September 25, and is limited to the first 100 participants. For registration information, stop by the Hopkins, Hunt, Rains, or Wood County Extension Offices, or call 903-885-3443, and I’ll e-mail you the form.
When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier – Roy Disney