A FM 1567 home was destroyed by fire Monday night, Nov. 2. The resident, a 73-year-old male, was transported by Hopkins County EMS to the hospital, where he was treated for minor burns, according to fire reports.
Miller Grove, Hopkins County, Cumby, Arbala and Lone Oak firefighters, Hopkins County Sheriff’s Office deputies and EMS responded at 5:54 p.m. Nov. 2 to a what a passerby reported as a structure fire on FM 1567 west.
The resident was reportedly home cooking in the kitchen when he discovered a fire in a bedroom. The fire was reportedly too much for him to extinguish so the resident, who reportedly does not get around too well due to prior health issues, exited the residence.
When firefighters arrived, they found an old wood frame house on pier beams and what appeared to be shingles for siding fully involved with fire. The resident was located at the front porch. The man reportedly sustained minor burns and some singed hair. He was transported to the emergency room by ambulance to be checked out and treated, according to the county fire marshal.
When county firefighters cleared the location at 10:15 p.m., the structure had reportedly collapsed in on itself and, thus, considered a total loss.
The fire is believed to be accidental, possibly from a heater that had reportedly been placed near a bed due to the pending cold temperatures predicted for Monday night, according to Hopkins County Fire Marshal Michael Matthews.
The resident did not have insurance on the home and contents, the county fire marshal reported. Hopkins County Fire Chief Andy Endsley contacted the Red Cross to provide immediate assistance and housing for the elderly man.
Firefighters returned to the location at 3:14 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 3, when hot spots within the debris rekindled. Contents in the structure may continue to smolder throughout the day, fire officials reported.