The 2019 Dairy Classic Sale, sponsored by the Northeast Texas Livestock Association, will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday, June 13, at Sulphur Springs Livestock and Dairy Auction, located on State Highway 154 south.
“Sulphur Springs Livestock And Dairy Auction will be opening their doors just for us. There will not be a regular dairy sale so we have plenty of room for you to bring your friends,” invites Kevin Gibson, president of NETLA.
The show features the top entries from the annual Dairy Classic, held the first Saturday of the Dairy Festival to showcase months of hard work on the part of local youth. Funds raised from the sale are used to support local youth and future dairy farmers.
In order to participate in the Diary Classic, youth must validate their heifers. This January, 38 kids validated 56 heifers, all three-to-five-month old.
“These kids are all local and either live or attend school in Hopkins County. They were responsible for raising and preparing their animals for show. Only one heifer per exhibitor is allowed to enter the Dairy Classic class at the show. Thirty-four exhibitors arrived Friday night or early Saturday morning to show off their hard work, the top 17 made the sale,” Gibson stated.
Hopkins County 4-H members showing the three heifers earning top honors among sale cattle at the show include Braden Lennon, who took the championship title, Elida Miller reserve champion and Zia Miller Showmanship.
Sale heifers to be sold Thursday will be shown by the following youth:
- Braden Lennon, Hopkins County 4-H
- Elida Miller, Hopkins County 4-H
- Samantha Smith,Hopkins County 4-H
- Zia Miller, Hopkins County. 4-H
- Brett Boatman, Hopkins County 4-H
- Baylee Bowen, Como- Pickton FFA
- Allie Cockrum, Como- Pickton FFA
- Tatum Thompson, Hopkins County 4-H
- Reese Ragan, Hopkins County 4-H
- Kannon Gibson, Sulphur Springs FFA
- Dallas Davidson, Hopkins County 4-H
- Milley McCormack, Sulphur Springs FFA
- David James, North Hopkins FFA
- Wayne Hinton, Hopkins County 4-H
- Maddi Skaggs, Hopkins County 4-H
- Baylor Boatman, Hopkins County 4-H
- Jackson Reed, Sulphur Springs FF