- Designate a driver or take a cab. Slow down, especially in bad weather, construction areas and heavy traffic.
- Eliminate distractions, including the use of mobile devices.
- Buckle up everyone in the vehicle, it’s the law.
- Slow down or move over for police, fire, EMS and Texas Department of Transportation vehicles and tow trucks that are stopped on the side of the road with emergency lights activated, it’s the law.
- Don’t drive fatigued, get plenty of rest before trips ir take breaks as needed.
- Drive defensively, as holiday travel may present additional challenges.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before you trip begins.
DPS troopers will be patrolling Texas roadways throughout the holiday weekend looking for drink drivers, speeders, seat belt violators and other drivers who are endangering themselves and others.