April 4, 2023- The Hopkins County Genealogical Society Holiday will be closed on April 7th in observance of Good Friday.
Hopkins County Genealogical Society is open on the second Saturday of each month, however April 8th the HGCS will not be open. The HGCS will however be open on April 15th instead.
The Mission Hopkins County Genealogical Society:
- TO PRESERVE genealogical and historical materials of Texas, with emphasis on the Northeast area.
- TO PROTECT the family histories and records of people and places that represent the area and to provide a public repository for research and storage of materials collected by Hopkins County Genealogical Society.
- TO PROMOTE research in family history through educational and instructional programs and workshops.
- TO PROVIDE resource material for research relating to Texas with emphasis on Hopkins County.
- TO EXPAND awareness of genealogical and historical information through publications of materials relating to Hopkins County Texas.
Hopkins County Genealogical Society was founded in 1981 and members established a small library in a side room at the Sulphur Springs Public Library. Both the society membership and the genealogical collection expanded quickly and soon outgrew the space available at the public library. Glynn Lowe and the Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association offered a two-room office space in a building adjoining the L&B. The City of Sulphur Springs allowed HCGS to move the genealogical collection to the new site and listed the books as on permanent loan to the society.