Feb. 10, 2023- Starbucks announced that it is updating its popular loyalty program starting Feb. 13 to change how many stars are needed to redeem select items for free. Starbucks Rewards members drove 55% of the Seattle-based company’s U.S. operating revenue for its last quarter that ended in October, officials said.
As inflation continues to increase prices, several people have been flocking to Starbucks rewards and loyalty apps, helping the company increase digital sales.
Starbucks said it is changing some of the tier levels for award redemptions and shifting some items between tiers, “making them easier to earn.”
The tier levels that are changing:
- 50 stars will be 100 stars.
- 150 stars increases to 200 stars.
- 200 stars will be 300 stars.
- Iced coffee (not including cold brew beverages) and iced tea (not including iced tea lemonades) will be 100 stars, down from 150 stars.
- Packaged coffee moves to 300 stars, down from 400 stars.
- Select merchandise items will be 100 stars, down from 200 stars.
Starbucks said it is not changing how members earn rewards, which is two points per dollar when using a registered Starbucks card or one point per dollar with other payment options. There are ways to earn bonus stars through Double Star Days, games and personalized offers.
Here are the redemption tiers effective Feb. 13:
- 25 stars: Customize a drink with an extra shot of espresso, dairy substitute, syrup or sauce up to $1.
- 100 stars: Brewed hot or iced coffee or tea, a bakery item, packaged snacks and core reusable plastic to-go cups.
- 200 stars: Handcrafted beverages and Cold Brew beverages or hot breakfast.
- 300 stars: Lunch sandwich, protein box, salad and packaged coffee.
- 400 stars: Signature mug, drink tumbler and coffee merchandise up to $20.
- Other benefits: Not a part of a tier, but members also get a free Birthday Reward, a discount for using a reusable cup and free refills of hot or iced coffee or tea in-store.