We had one workers compensation claim in December for a firefighter who fractured his ribs in a fall.
We filed a claim on another driver’s insurance who crashed into a trailer at the water treatment plant.
We filed a claim on our own insurance for damages to a police cruiser when the officer struck a light pole in a parking lot.
We received two liability claims in December. One was for damages caused when an employee backed into another vehicle. The other claim is for flooding damages resulting from city crews turning on water to a building with a pre-existing freeze break. The employees mistakenly thought they had turned the valve to the off position.
SENIOR CITIZENS CENTER
I have signed the contract with Hawk Construction, and we will issue a notice to proceed later this month.
XLNT Construction has ordered the steel frame for the pavilion. The lead time is 4 months. I don’t expect to see any more activity at Pacific Park until February. At that time XLNT will construct the building in about 90 days.
When the pavilion is complete, we will demolish the old basketball courts and grade the interior of the park. Then we will install irrigation and sod.
College Street is open down to Patton Street. We began installing utilities in the second phase of College Street (Patton to Ramsey) today. We have already completed all of the drainage improvements at College and Ramsey. Once we complete
201 N Davis Street, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482 • 903.439.3700 • sulphurspringstx.org Page 1
improvements to Ramsey Street, we will continue to Como Street. After that we will pause to turn our attention to Holiday Drive.
REVENUES AND EXPENDITURES
Finance Director Lesa Smith will not present the year-end report of revenues and expenditures as she need a little more time to close out the books.
STREET IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
The only streets remaining on the Street Improvement Program are Ardis, Como, Commercial Services, Houston and Fisher. Houston was moved to the next year. Ardis and Como were delayed due to Atmos projects, but the Atmos should be done in the first quarter of 2023. The repairs on Commercial Services are in flux. Staff is considering whether to perform the repairs in house or contract it out. Staff removed Fisher from the list because it is a candidate for a total rebuild due to a water main issue.
Elsewhere around the city, employees:
- Repaired numerous Christmas light circuits downtown.
- Performed electrical repairs at the library.
- Repaired Highway 11 lift station.
- Installed vacuum at service center gas pumps.
- Replaced 2 lights on the Hopkins County Veterans Memorial wall.
- Repaired the stove at the Grays Building.
- Made repairs on Animal Shelter A/C unit.
- Prepared all municipal building for the freeze.
- Performed preventative maintenance on multiple items at the wastewater treatment plant and water treatment plant.
- Achieved daily average total suspended solids reading of .36 mg/L.
- Repaired 17 water main ruptures.
- Replaced 10 water meters.
- Unstopped 38 sewer mains.
- Washed 75,000 feet of sewer mains.
- Flushed 40 dead-end water mains.
- Repaired SCADA radio at Cooper Lake.
- Checked out 2,398 items from the library plus 653 eBooks.
- Installed Christmas decorations.
- Replanted 200 shrubs and 3 trees after freeze damage of 2021.
- Repainted the soccer concession.
- Removed 5 dead trees in the soccer complex.
- Cleaned around Upper Coleman Lake.
- Power-washed the restrooms at imagination Mountain.
- Conducted 37 building inspections, 19 electrical inspections, 20 plumbing inspections and 3 mechanical inspections.
- Issued 67 building permits.
- Responded to 272 fire/rescue calls including 1 structure fire, 1 vehicle fire and 8 grass fires.
- Performed preventative maintenance on78 fire hydrants.
- Conducted 20 fire inspections.
- Sold 1,630 gallons of AvGas and 10,200 gallons of JetA fuel.
- Accommodated 675 operations at the airport.
- Responded to 193 animal control calls while achieving a 92% adoption rate.
- Made 4 felony arrests in the Special Crimes Unit.
- Responded to 2,329 calls for law enforcement.
- Responded to 20 accidents, wrote 452 citations, recorded 44 offences, and made 55 arrests in the Patrol Division.
- Repaired 648 potholes.
- Made 17 extensive street repairs following utility repairs.
- Cleaned storm drain inlets twice.
- Removed 4 fallen trees from city street.