The frigid temperatures and precipitation Wednesday and overnight resulted in a thin sheet of ice on many road surfaces. At 8:30 a.m. Sulphur Springs and Hopkins County emergency responders were working several motor vehicle crashes, including one involving an 18-wheeler at mile 114 on Interstate 30 west, according to Hopkins County Emergency Management Coordinator Andy Endsley. One crash involved 8 vehicles, but has the roadway was clearing at 8:45 a.m.
City and state crews are out treating roads as needed with a sand and rock mix. County Precinct workers and Cumby city crews are on standby if needed. Emergency services are responding to calls. Sulphur Springs water and waste water employees are working as well
Due to the current forecast and conditions, a number of Feb. 24 weather-related closures, delayed start times and schedule changes have been reported for Hopkins County. Those KSST has been made aware of are listed below. These lists will be updated Thursday as new information is reported to KSST.
- City of Como office will close at noon Feb. 24.
- Como-Pickton CISD
- Cumby ISD
- Texas A&M University-Commerce main campus and Dallas site
- Paris Junior College
- Sulphur Springs City Offices including City Hall, Municipal Court, Water Office, Senior Citizens Center, Sulphur Springs Public Library, Sulphur Springs Airport.
- Hopkins County Genealogical Library, located inside Sulphur Springs Public Library
- Cumby City Hall (Essential personnel will be on duty. Contact the mayor at [email protected] or call City Hall, option 5, and follow the instructions for any water/sewer afterhours emergencies.)
- Yantis ISD
- Sulphur Bluff ISD
- Pioneer Café
- Sulphur Springs ISD – all school events are cancelled Thursday as well.
- Hopkins County offices
- Miller Grove ISD
- Saltillo ISD
- Hopkins County Early Voting Center due to the public safety issue caused by the winter storm
- North Hopkins ISD
- Texas Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Office
- Alliance Bank locations open at 10 a.m. Thursday, February 24,
- CNB lobbies and drive-throughs will open at 9 a.m.
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Paris, Bogata, Mount Vernon, Sulphur Springs, Ft. Worth, Denton, Dallas, Addison, Commerce, Rockwall and Royse City will open at 10 a.m. All other locations will be operating at normal hours.
- NETLA is monitoring the weather, but are still planning to hold the Hopkins County Junior Livestock Show and Sale. However, weights will not be due until 3 p.m. All planning to participate and attend are reminded to take their time and travel with care.
- No trash service in Sulphur Springs Thursday, according to city officials
- North Hopkins Basketball Area Playoff v. Bland will be played at Commerce High School at 6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 25. NH will be the home team.
- TRAX will only run a couple of critical routes Thursday, and those are subject to change, at the discretion of the lead driver for safety of all who would be traveling on the bus.