Kindergarten Round-Up and the Sulphur Springs ISD’s 2021-2022 Two-Way Dual Language Program application is in progress. Parents/guardians can apply at kindergarten round-up for the dual language program, and two informational parent meetings about it are scheduled as well.
Two-Way Dual Language Program
Applications are now available for the SSISD Two-Way Dual Language Program, an enrichment program in which students learn to read and write in their native language (English or Spanish) in kindergarten and first grade in their language arts classes. All math instruction is in English, while all science and social studies instruction is in Spanish.
“It is an excellent program for all soon-to-be kinder students. They are more than welcome to visit our school website for more information and set up an appointment for the kinder round-up,” said Sonia Cordova Yanez, ESL/LPAC/Migrant Facilitator.the program facilitator said.
Students work in bilingual pairs, with one English and one Spanish speaking student, who work together to master both academic content and acquisition in a second language. The program begins in kindergarten and is a commitment to attend the dual language program through primary and elementary schools in SSISD. two-way dual language classes for kindergarten through third grade are housed at Travis Primary campus. The program uses the Gomez and Gomez DLE model.
Goals of the Two-Way Dual Language program include high academic achievement through development of skills at or above grade level in all academic areas starting in kindergarten; bilingualism and biliteracy by the time the student completes fifth grade and cross cultural awareness.
“We are happy to announce and inform all parents who may be interested to join us at our first parent informational meeting. Mr. Toney, the Director of the program, will meet and greet all parents who would like to get more information and answer any questions. There will be two informational meetings that will be held in the board room at the Admin building on April 19, 21, at 12 noon and 6 p.m.,” the program facilitator said.
The last day to turn in an application for the Dual Language Immersion 2-way Program is May 28.
For more information regarding the Sulphur Springs ISD Dual Language Program Click Here
Kindergarten To 3rd Grade Round-Up
Kindergarten Round-Up is being conducted in the Board Room inside SSISD Administration Building, 631 Connally St., from 8:30 a.m. 6:30 p.m. May 5, and from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 6-7.
In fact, registration for all new-to-the district students will continue and May 5-7 for students who will be in kindergarten-third grade in the 2020-2021 school year, with online registration for an appointment ongoing.
This registration is for new students who did not end the 2020-2021 school year in Sulphur Springs ISD. Parents of current pre-kindergarten and Head Start students will complete the “Returning Student Registration” with their Skyward Family Access account. New-to-the-district pre-kindergarten and Head Start students will register at Douglass Early Childhood Learning Center.
How to register
- Make an appointment by clicking the link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/newstudent2021
- Only a parent or legal guardian with appropriate documents can enroll a child.
- Bring the child with you so that we may administer Universal screening for placement.
- Bring all required and/or applicable documents:
- Proof of residency within district. Must be one of the following: current utility bill; current rent or lease agreement, or mortgage statement showing name and address of owner; or income tax paperwork.
- Parent or Legal Guardian’s Photo ID.
- Child’s: official birth certificate, Social Security card and up-to-date immunization record.
- Doctors’ notes concerning an allergy or health needs the child may have.
- Custodial documents or court orders, if applicable.
- Then, complete the online registration process via Skyward (School staff will be available to assist those in need or go to www.ssisd.net to complete beforehand).
Administration will be on campus to distribute primary campus assignment based on residency within the school district.
Pre-kindergarten, Head Start Registration
Douglass ECLC is now accepting applications for the 2021-22 school year for children who will be 3 or 4 years of age on or Before September 1, 2021. Parents/guardians may complete the registration process to determine if the child qualifies for the program.
Registration does not guaranty the child a place in the program; it is used to determined whether the child qualifies for the program Due to COVID-19 , registration will be virtual, with email appointments only.
How to register
- To be considered for the Head Start and Pre-Kindergarten programs, the child’s parent or legal guardian must submit all required applicable documents to Rita V. Taylor, ERSEA specialist, at [email protected], along with a contact number and email address.
- Required documentation includes:
- The child’s officials birth certificate; Social Security card; up-to-date immunization record; and current Medicaid, private insurance or CHIP card.
- All will also need to provide a copy of :
- the parent or legal guardian’s photo ID;
- 12 months proof of household income in the form of a 2020 tax return and 2020 W-2 forms, or in the absence of those documents a notarized letter from an employer, including yearly salary, on official business letterhead; and
- roof of residency, such as a current utility bill, lease agreement or mortgage statement with the family name on it.
- If applicable, the following documentation is also needed:
- TANF, SSI, SSA, child support, alimony, military documents (LES/FSSA);
- Food Stamp card;
- WIC card;
- Foster Care 2085 Form;
- EP – individualized education plan;
- doctors’ notes concerning any allergies or health needs the child may have; and
- custodial documentation or court orders.
- Afterward, the submitting parent/guardian will receive an email from SSISD to schedule a telephone interview.
- After the interview process, applications will either be mailed to the parent/guardian or picked up at Douglass ECLC, 600 Calvert St.
- After all documents are received and reviewed, a letter will be mailed to the parent/guardian notifying them if their child has been accepted or placed on a waiting list for either program based on established criteria.
- If accepted, the parent/guardian will then be required to complete the district’s online Skyward application.
- Those who do not have access to a scanner to upload the necessary documents may scan documents using a smart device.
How to scan on a Smart Device
Not sure how to scan to a smart device? Taylor has provided the following tips to assist with that process: