With several inches of snow already covering the ground, another wintry storm on Wednesday night brought more snow and ice making travel difficult and dangerous until temperatures rise to allow thaw. Schools and organizations have reported weather-related closures and schedule changes as a safety precaution. Those weather-related schedule changes reported to KSST include:
Sulphur Springs ISD will remain closed and remote instruction is canceled through Feb. 19, due to power outages and dangerous weather, Classes should begin again Monday February 22 in the Sulphur Springs school district.
- Cumby ISD will be remain closed through Friday, and resume normal school hours on Monday, Feb. 22.
- Miller Grove ISD will be closed through Friday due to the expected winter weather, and hopes to be back to the regular schedule on Monday.
- North Hopkins ISD has closed on-site classes until Monday. Remote learning will not be provided online, according to Superintendent Darin Jolly.
- Como-Pickton CISD will remain closed all week.
- Sulphur Buff School will remain closed all week to reopen Monday. No make up days will be required and at this time no remote learning for the kids.
- Saltillo ISD to reopen Monday February 22.
- Yantis ISD to reopen on Monday February 22.
- All Paris Junior College locations were to remain closed through Thursday.
- Texas A&M University Commerce was closed through Thursday and possibly Friday. This includes all daily business operations and remote work, except essential services already approved. This closure means no academic activities, including online or face to face classes. The only essential buildings that will remain open are Rayburn Student Center, all residential living and learning Buildings and the University Police Department. The off-site locations will adhere to the decision of their host institution or local school district.
- All CHRISTUS Trinity Clinics were reported closed through Thursday.
- Hopkins County Genealogical Society will not conduct the Zoom meeting on Thursday February 18, and hopes to reschedule the speaker in the near future.
- Republic is suspending trash pickup this week in Cumby. They will resume trash service next week, according to Cumby Mayor Doug Simmerman.
- Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce is closed this week due to weather impacts and will re-open on Monday, February 22. Business ribbon cuttings scheduled this week are also canceled.
- Little Texans Learning Center will be closed through Friday, February 20, 2021.
- Hopkins County Judge Robert Newsom last reported that Hopkins County Office Buildings will be closed the rest of this week, due to weather-related power outages. Emergency personnel will continue to work as scheduled. County offices are scheduled to reopen on Monday morning Feb 22.
- City of Sulphur Springs There will be no trash pickup in Sulphur Springs the remainder of this week.
- Meal A Day will remain closed this week due to the weather and road conditions. Meal a Day should be back in operation on Monday, according to Senior Citizens Center Director Karon Weatherman.
- Como City Hall was closed due to bad weather, to reopen when the roads are better. The late charge for this week will be extended.
- First UMC Sulphur Springs Office reports all activities scheduled through Friday have been cancelled.
- The Texas Department of Public Safety reports that all DPS Offices in the North Texas Region will be closed on Friday February 19, due to the impact of severe winter weather on roadways and concern for the safety of both the public and employees. The 42 North Texas Region (Region 1) counties affected by this closure may be found on the DPS Regional Map. Driver License customers with appointments will be contacted to reschedule. Emergency DPS operations are not affected by this closure.
Other Scheduling Notices
- Due to the inclement weather, the 2nd dose COVID vaccine clinic scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 17 from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. at CHRISTUS Trinity Clinic – Sulphur Springs Primary Care has been rescheduled for Saturday, 2/20, from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. The patients scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 17, will be receiving a call to reschedule their vaccine appointment.
- Northeast Texas Farmer’s Co-op has cancelled the annual Inventory set for Saturday, and the Co-op will be open for business on Saturday February 20, 2021.
- The Gala Unmasked Virtual Gala and Auction is Postponed for now, and will not be held as planned on Saturday February 20, 2021. The decision to postpone was made in light of weather hardships on the community. Find out more on the Hopkins County Healthcare Foundation Facebook page.
If your school or organization is cancelling, delaying or has a scheduling change due to the weather, contact KSST so we can help get the word out.