Some local school districts, county buildings and one learning center have notified KSST they are planning delayed starts to the school day on Thursday, Feb. 11, due to inclement weather. Other school districts have made the decision to be closed all day Thursday due to the icy conditions. Other districts are monitoring the situation and will make announcements if any determinations are needed regarding late starts or cancelations.
Some of the side streets in the city have a lot of ice this morning, and many county roads, highways and bridges are icy as well. As a result, city and county officers have worked multiple crashes this morning. Local law enforcement officials are asking those who can to remain at home until the roads improve. Those who are out are urged to drive with extreme caution.
Below are the latest updates KSST has received so far.
- The Free COVID-19 Testing Center in Sulphur Springs (128-A Jefferson Street) will be closed through Monday due to the winter weather conditions. Officials will reevaluate the situation Monday morning to determine whether the site will reopen or remain closed based on inclement weather conditions at that time
- North Hopkins ISD will be closed Thursday, Feb. 11, Superintendent Darin Jolly reported.
- Cumby ISD will be closed all day Thursday, February 11, due to hazardous road conditions, .according to Superintendent Shelly Slaughter. Classes are currently planned to resume on Friday.
- Meal A Day will be closed today for the safety of program cooks and delivery drivers. No deliveries will be made today. Program Director Karon Weatherman encourages those who live near elderly neighbors to check on them.
- Paris Junior College in Paris, Greenville and Sulphur Springs will be closed Thursday due to winter weather, but is scheduled to reopen on Friday, Feb. 12.
- Little Texans Learning Center will be closed all day Thursday, Feb. 11.
- Sulphur Springs ISD has cancelled classes today, February 11, 2021, due to dangerous road conditions.
- Little Acorn Learning Center is closed on Thursday, according to the director.
- Sulphur Bluff ISD will be closed Thursday due to road conditions. Classes will resume on Tuesday.
- Saltillo ISD will be closed Thursday, February 11. Classes are currently planned to resume on Friday.
- Thursday’s basketball games vs Yantis have been cancelled, and are to be rescheduled.
- Miller Grove ISD will be closed on Thursday, Superintendent Steve Johnson reported shortly after 8 a.m. Feb. 11.
- Yantis ISD will also be closed on Thursday.
- The Varsity Boys game scheduled Feb. 11 has also been cancelled. The Varsity Boys game vs Avinger is tentatively scheduled Friday at home at 4:30 p.m. and will be Senior Night for both the boys and girls teams at that time. All activities for the rest of the week are subject to change based on weather, however.
- Hopkins County Offices are closed Thursday except for emergency personnel, Hopkins County Judge Robert Newsom reported at 8:12 a.m. Feb. 11.
- TRAX bus service is closed Feb. 11 due to the weather.
- Texas A&M University-Commerce campus will remain closed on Thursday, February 11, 2021. A decision for Friday, February 12, 2021, will be communicated as soon as a decision is made, according to an update posted by the University at about 9:45 a.m. Thursday. The closure includes all business operations except essential services already approved. All students, including those taking fully-online classes, should communicate with their instructors for guidance with their courses. The off-site locations will adhere to the decision of their host institution or local school district.
- The Sulphur Springs Workforce Center and Paris Workforce Center will not open until 1 p.m. February 11, due to inclement weather.
If your school or organization is cancelling, delaying or has a scheduling change due to the weather, contact KSST so we can help get the word out.