Sulphur Springs ISD registration for new-to-the district students in pre-kindergarten through third grade, and the application process for the kindergarten Two-Way Dual Language Enrichment Program will be conducted April 20-24.
Pre-K through 3rd Grade Registration
Registration for new-to-Sulphur Springs ISD kindergarten through third grade students will be conducted from April 20-24.
New-to-district kindergarten through third grade students will register with Patty Garcia, administrative assistant to the assistant superintendent of elementary education by email at [email protected].
Kindergarten students interested in participating in the Two-Way Dual Language Enrichment Program during the 2020-2021 may begin the application process during Online Round-up.
New-to- SSISD Pre-kindergarten and Head Start students will register at Douglass Early Childhood Learning Center, located at 600 Calvert St. Parents should call 903-885-4516 to set up an appointment.
Parents should be prepared to submit the following information for registration:
- Proof of residency within the district. One of the following must be presented in the name of the parent or guardian:
- Current utility bill,
- Current rent/lease agreement, or mortgage statement.
- Photo ID of parent or guardian
- Student’s official birth certificate
- Student’s social security card
- Student’s up-to-date immunization record
- Note from a medical practitioner concerning student’s allergy and/or health needs
- Custodial documents or court order, if applicable
Parents/guardians of current pre-k and Head Start students will not required to participate in Online Round-up. These parents will complete Returning Registration forms through their Skyward Family Access account, according to Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education and Learner Services Kristin Monk
Parents of current pre-k and Head Start students will have the opportunity to apply for the Two-Way Dual Language Enrichment Program at their current campus, Monk noted.
Two-Way DLE Program
The Two-Way DLE Program is an academic program that enhances the development of bilingualism and bi-literacy. Students will participate in a rigorous academic program that develops academic proficiency in Spanish and English languages.
The DLE program expectations require:
- Students to begin the program in Kindergarten and consistently remain in the program through grade 5 to receive the full benefit of the DLE Program;
- Students to be formally taught to read in their native language through grade 1. In grades 2-5 students are taught to read in both languages by receiving literacy instruction in both languages daily;
- Students to be taught mathematics in English and social studies and science in Spanish in grades K through grade 5;
- Students to participate daily in various bilingual “support” activities designed to develop social and academic bilingualism and bi-literacy, as well as academic skills/concepts appropriate for the grade;
- Students to be tested using various assessments to determine:
- growth/achievement in literacy in both English and Spanish,
- mastery of math skills/concepts in English, and
- (3) mastery of science and social studies skills/concepts in Spanish.
- (Students will be given the option of taking STAAR-Science in English or Spanish in grade 5); and
- Homework assignments to be given in English and/or Spanish, as appropriate, and that assignments will be such that students can complete the work relatively independently (supported only through parent encouragement and interaction about the assignments, provision of time/place to do work, etc.).
By submitting the application, parents agrees to a long-term program commitment for their children. That includes working collaboratively with the school to ensure the child is provided the support and encouragement at home to complete the program through grade 5.
To be entered into the lottery for admission to the program, the child will be given an oral language proficiency test to determine language fluency in his/her primary language.
All applications for the two-way DLE program must be submitted no later than 3:30 p.m. Friday, May 29. The program lottery will be conducted Thursday, June 25. The parent then will be notified of the child’s status for the program (either accepted or wait listed) by Friday, June 26.
Click here for more information, including registration form, for the Two-Way DLE Program.