The application process for SSISD Head Start and pre-kindergarten programs for the 2020-2021 school year is under way for new-to-the-district children. As with everything these days, registration will be conducted differently due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
These programs, for children who will be 3 or 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, are typically housed at Douglass Early Childhood Learning Center. Parents/guardians may complete the process to see if their children qualify for either program.
Head Start provides certified teachers/assistants, two nutritional meals and a snack per day, full-day educational services, outdoor playground facilities, limited transportation services, social services, parent involvement activities, speech/hearing/vision evaluations, health/dental screenings and accepts children with mild, moderate or severe disabilities as determined by individual needs.
To apply, first collect all of the following information as it applies to the household and child:
- Parent ID/Driver’s License
- Household Income — (2019 Tax Returns, 2019 W-2 Forms)
- If above documents are not available, a notarized letter from employer, including yearly salary, must be on official letterhead.
- TANF, SSI, SSA, Child Support/Alimony, Military Documents (LES/FSSA)
- Proof of Residency (Recent Electric/Water/Gas Bill) – You must reside in Sulphur Springs Child’s Official Birth Certificate
- Child’s Social Security Card
- Child’s Up-to-date Immunization Record
- Current Medicaid, Private Insurance or CHIP Card
- Food Stamp Card
- WIC Card
- Foster Care 2085 Form
- IEP – Individualized Education Plan
- Dr.’s Notes Concerning Allergy/Health Needs
- Custodial or Court Orders
The contact Rita Taylor, ERSEA sSpecialist, by email at [email protected] Parents/guardians who do not have an email address, may call the school at 903-885-4516 to leave their name and the best contact number.
Parents/Guardians will receive a response to schedule an interview via telephone. After the interview process, applications can be emailed or mailed. Completed applications can be dropped off at Douglass, Monday-Friday, between 7:30 and 11 a.m. Parents/guardians will be notified by letter if their child has been accepted or put on a waitlist. If accepted, the district’s Skyward, online application must also be completed.