Local firefighters were called on in the cool early morning hours Tuesday to reports of two structure fires.
Hopkins County firefighters were dispatched at 1:03 a.m. Dec. 31 to County Road 1174, where a resident reported waking up to a smokey house. The resident suspected the source of the smoke to be an electrical box. No flames or sparks were seen, according to dispatch reports.
Electrical wiring in a heater was reported to be the source of the smoke. Damage was limited to a heating unit, according to county fire reports.
Sulphur Springs firefighters also were dispatched at 2 a.m. New Year’s Eve to a fire in the 1000 block of North Davis Street. Hopkins County firefighters were requested for mutual aid, according to reports. The blaze was reportedly quickly knocked down by Sulphur Springs firefighters. No additional information about that call was available later Tuesday morning.