On Wednesday March 20, 2019, the ribbon was cut on the Hopkins County Veterans Memorial….about seven years after it’s dedication. A committee to design and construct the memorial was formed in 2004 with Clayton McGraw, Robert Carpenter, Don Roundtree, Pam Elliott, Ruth Davis, John Ward, Dena Loyd, Art Romanat, Tommy Allison, Sam Johnson, Dwayne Schultz, Bob King and Vicky Lee as committee members in charge of various aspects of the creation of the Memorial. McGraw reminisced, “Back in 2002, my wife and I saw a memorial like this in another state and said to each other, ‘we need that in Sulphur Springs!’ So I talked to then County Judge Cletis Millsap about the idea and he said the County would support it 100%. I walked over the City Hall and talked to Manager Marc Maxwell and he said the City of Sulphur Springs would do the same thing. And guess, what, both leaders agreed that the Memorial should be constructed in the center of our town, on the square, next to the courthouse”. Following a number of years of construction, the Veterans Memorial was dedicated on July 4, 2012 in downtown Sulphur Springs. Since then, hundreds of names of Veterans have been added and engraved on the seven walls, as they were submitted by family members. If you would like information on adding a Veteran’s name to the wall, contact Pam Elliott at 220 Connally Street or 903-885-1080.
Author: Enola Gay
Has enjoyed working for KSST since 1989. Hosts the Good Morning Show with Enola Gay on weekday mornings from 6-9am, so 'start your day with Enola Gay'! Guest interviews during the Morning Show can also be seen in playback on Cable Channel 18 TV. Along with local country music fan Benny Potter, co-produces 1230 West, a Country and Western Swing radio show which airs weekly on Saturdays from 7-8am and repeats on Thursdays from 7-8pm. Also writes "At the Corral Gate", a column appearing weekly in The Millennium Shopper and in the Lifestyles section of ksstradio.com.
- Wildcats Football Second Half Woes Subject For Coach Owens on Saturday Morning Coach’s Show
- Lady Cats Volleyball Team Struggled on the Road Again Last Friday at Lindale
- 11 Texas Wineries Featured At Main Street Uncorked
- Wildcat Band Has Nice Warm Up Contest Saturday For Upcoming Area Contest
- Tradin’ Post for Monday, October 21st, 2019
- Jeanie Pace
- Channel 18 News: Monday, October 21, 2019
- Channel 18: Main Street Uncorked
- Investigation, 4 Arrests Expected to Clear Over A Dozen Burglary, Theft Cases
- Meal a Day Inside the Seniors Center Is Supported by Volunteers, Donations
Ye Olde KSST Poll
Fall is finally here
- Let's wait a week and see. (45%)
- Yes! (41%)
- Not yet... (14%)
Thanks for voting!