STREET IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM – Beth, Rasure, Rose, Junnell and a portion of Gossett Lane have been repaved. Calvert Street will be milled and repaved during spring break.
CANTEX FORCE MAIN – This will be our next capital improvement project. It will replace 2,400 linear feet of aging sewer force main and 2,900 feet of gravity main. Currently the main passes through the middle of the hospital complex. This would be a nightmare if the main ever ruptures. The proposed route would go around the hospital complex rather than through it. One third of the city’s sewage passes through this line.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT – The work at the wastewater treatment plant is on schedule. The three primary clarifier basins have been constructed, and the effluent troughs are being constructed now. Other concrete structures adjacent to the clarifiers are under construction. I expect to bring the clarifiers online in July, weather permitting.
CROSSTOWN TRAIL – Construction of the Crosstown Trail in ongoing. This grant-funded project will connect Buford Park to Coleman Park as well as the high school/civic center complex with a concrete path. It will also replace the sidewalk on the north side of Connally Street.
CLAIMS – We did not have any liability claims in February. We had two minor workers’ compensation claims in February. We have recently changed our coverage for sewer overflows with the Texas Municipal League Risk Pool. The pool will now cover losses that result from a stoppage in a city sewer main. Previously the coverage only applied to overflows that were caused by some action of the city. The additional coverage costs $4,770 per year. The additional coverage does not protect a homeowner who incurred damage as a result of a blockage in their own service line.
REVENUES AND EXPENDITURES – Finance Director Lesa Smith will give a year-to-date report of revenues and expenditures.
Elsewhere around the city, employees:
- Repaired irrigation at Buford Park Baseball fields.
- Repaired multiple plumbing leaks in bathrooms resulting from frozen pipes.
- Repaired many electrical receptacles in concession stands.
- Conducted 21 building inspections, 16 electrical inspections, 15 plumbing inspections, 4 mechanical inspections and issued 28 building permits.
- Began doing utility locates on Sunset Street in preparation for reconstruction.
- Treated wastewater to a daily average total suspended solids rating of 2.97 mg/L.
- Installed ramp lights at the airport.
- Repaired 6 ruptured water mains.
- Replaced 13 water meters.
- Unstopped 19 water mains.
- Repaired 16 sewer mains.
- Washed 85,000 feet of sewer mains.
- Flushed 35 dead end water mains.
- Repaired the spillway controller at Lake Sulphur Springs.
- Performed preventative maintenance on several apparatuses at the water treatment plant and wastewater treatment plant.
- Treated 106 million gallons of potable water.
- Checked out 2,864 items from the library and checked out another 456 eBooks.
- Responded to 201 animal control calls, and achieved a 40% adoption rate.
- Made 8 arrests in the special crimes unit.
- Responded to 32 accidents, wrote 421 citations, recorded 50 offences and made 57 arrests.
- Sold 806 gallons of AvGas and 7,900 gallons of JetA fuel.
- Made 28 extensive street repairs following utility repairs.
- Repaired 284 potholes.
- Replaced 7 stop signs and 8 street signs.