No Time for Boredom! Opportunities Abound!
March flew by so quickly! As I turn the page to April in my calendar, I’m amazed at the number of opportunities for individuals to be involved. Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service is sponsoring or partnering in many events this spring. We invite you to check out this list and contact us if you are interested in participating!
- Last call for registration for the 2016 spring series of “Do Well, Be Well with Diabetes.” This series will be held on Mondays and Thursdays, April 4, 7, 11, 14, and 18, at the Extension Office, 1200-B W. Houston Street, Sulphur Springs. Each day will cover a different topic, and guest speakers include experts in the field of diabetes management. The $25 fee, payable at the first session, covers all five sessions, materials, refreshments, and door prizes. Please call 903-885-3443 to sign up.
- 55+ Health Fair will take place on Tuesday, April 5, at the ROC (Recreation Outreach Center), 115 Putman Street, in Sulphur Springs. This is a free event, with lots of door prizes! Be sure to stop by the AgriLife Extension exhibit and say hello!
- Kids’ Safe Saturday, now in its 14th year (I think!), will take place on Saturday, April 9, in Buford Park, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Free hot dots, drinks, and ice cream sandwiches will be given as supplies last. Each exhibitor will have a game or fun activity for the kids. This event is targeted toward families of children age 12 and under. Door prizes, including bicycles, will be given. Be sure to stop by the AgriLife Extension exhibit for the nutrition spin wheel game and the School Health Advisory Committee exhibit for UV bead bracelets!
- 2016 Spring Tractor Supply 4-H Paper Clover campaign will take place April 13 thru 24. By donating $1 at check-out, you will be helping the 4-H program. This is a national campaign and proceeds from the local Tractor Supply Company will go toward our Hopkins County 4-H program. We sincerely appreciate TSC and all those who have contributed in past campaigns!
- District 4-H Contests will all take place in one weekend this year (except for shooting sports and livestock judging). April 15 and 16, Hopkins County will be well represented by fourteen individuals participating in Food Show, Fashion Show and Educational presentations at Texas A&M Commerce. Congratulations to each of these fine young people! I’ll be sure to report on the results as they become available.
- Do you want to learn to maintain your own septic system? Join us at the Extension Office on Monday, May 16, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You must call our office to register. Cost of the training is $100. If you have questions, ask to speak to Mario.
- Beans & Cornbread supper and auction to benefit the Hopkins County 4-H Exchange trip, Wednesday, May 18, at the Sulphur Springs Livestock Auction, 1910 S. Broadway, Sulphur Springs. Approximately 16 4-H members and chaperones will be embarking on a road trip to Virginia in June upon the invitation of the Smythe County, Virginia 4-H and Extension staff. Join us around 4:00 p.m. for the festivities and help support this worthwhile cause!
- “Cooking Through the Seasons” cooking show will take place on Friday, May 20, at the ROC (Recreation Outreach Center), 115 Putman, Sulphur Springs, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Extension Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS)agents from Hopkins, Rains, and Wood Counties have put together an excellent event, featuring Chef Lyndsay Caldwell, Dietitian Kim Sellers, and of course, our FCS staff! We’ll have demonstrations focusing on New Year’s Resolutions, spring/summer produce, fall/winter baking, tablescapes for all occasions, and kitchen gadgets. Each attendee will receive color recipe cards for six complete menus (three recipes per menu!), goody bags, and sampling. Door prizes will also be given, and attendees will have the opportunity to visit exhibits. Cost is only $15. Contact our office or go to http://hopkins.agrilife.org and click on publications for the registration form.
- One of my favorite workshops to teach is “Twogether in Texas” marriage education workshop! Saturday, May 21, is the next event. It is absolutely free, and engaged couples will receive a certificate to save $60 upon applying for a marriage license. The workshop will be held at the Extension Office, 1200-B W. Houston, Sulphur Springs, from 8:30 a.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m. Interested couples are asked to call 903-885-3443 to sign up.
I guess that’s enough for now! There are many opportunities coming up in June and July, especially for our Hopkins County youth (Kids’ Camp: Fun, Food, Fitness; Skills Camp; Multi-county 4-H Camp; 4-H Exchange Trip; Ultra 4-H Leadership Lab; 4-H Project Tour Day; and 4-H Day Camp, just to name a few!) For more information on these and other programs, give us a call! As part of the Texas A&M University System, we are honored to bring quality educational programs to Hopkins County!
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes – Andy Rooney