2016 Getting off to a Busy Start
Greetings to all! As I was reviewing my calendar for the next couple of months, I decided it would be a good time to announce all the upcoming events that might be of interest to you. Lots of dates, times, and places will be listed, so if you want to clip this column and post it on your refrigerator for reference, feel free to do so!
Extension Family & Consumer Sciences Agents from all across the state will converge on College Station February 12 – 14 for the “Growing a Healthy Texas” Conference. I hope to bring back lots of new resources and ideas, plus I have the privilege of leading one of the concurrent sessions, so stay tuned!
As 4-H members who are involved in livestock projects prepare for the upcoming Junior Market Show, there are some things to remember:
- Sunday, January 10 – parent/participant meeting, 2:00 p.m., at the Extension Office. This meeting will be especially helpful for those who are new to showing an animal.
- Thursday, January 14 – poultry orders may be picked up at the Sulphur Springs High School Ag Shop between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. 4-H’ers are reminded to bring a box and to have a facility and feed ready.
- Friday, February 19 – raffle ticket money due back to Extension Office
- Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, February 25-27 – NETLA Junior Market Show, Civic Center Arena, contact our office or go to www.netla.tk
for more information.
Other 4-H events of interest include:
- Friday, January 25 – Texas 4-H Scholarship applications due to our office
- Sunday, January 31 – deadline to register on-line for the District 4-H Photography Contest
- Monday, February 1 – County 4-H Council meeting, 6:00 p.m., Extension Office
- Saturday, February 6 – 4-H Mystery Field Trip and Sewing Fun Day, meet at Extension Office at 9:30 a.m., bring sack lunch (drinks provided). We’ll go to a mystery destination for a clothing/fabric related tour and return to the Extension Office for lunch and an fun make-and-take project. Deadline to sign up is Friday, January 29 in order to inform our tour host of the number to expect. Call 903-885-3443 to sign up.
- Saturday, March 5 – County 4-H Roundup, includes 4-H Food Show, Fashion Show, Educational Presentations, Public Speaking, Share-the-Fun, and Agri-Science Fair. Location to be determined, but we’ll get started at 2:00 p.m. There is special paperwork for the Food Show and Fashion Show, so please contact the Extension Office if you plan to participate. Also, if you know your topic for Educational Presentations, let us know.
All these dates and more are included in the January/February 4-H Gazette which went out to all Hopkins County 4-H families, so please take note of all these events and call our office if you have any questions.
Many opportunities abound for adults, as well! Some of these require contacting my office, so pay attention to deadlines:
1) Sunday, January 10 – “A Formal Affair”, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., Hopkins County Civic Center, be sure to drop by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension exhibit!
2) Saturday, January 23 – Twogether in Texas Marriage Education workshop, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Texas A& AgriLife Extension Office, 1200 W. Houston, Sulphur Springs. Engaged or married couples welcome! Topics include marriage expectations, communication, conflict resolution, money management, and goals & dreams. Engaged couples will receive a certificate to save $60 upon applying for a marriage license…and the workshop is free! Lunch and refreshments provided, so please call 903-885-3443 by January 21 to reserve seats.
3) February 4, 11, 18, and 25 – “A Fresh Start to a Better You” series, Early Childhood Learning Center, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Looking ahead to March and April:
– Extension Leadership Advisory Board, Youth Board, Master Volunteers, and Extension Committees are invited to the annual spring luncheon on Friday, March 11 at the Extension Office
– Taste of Home Cooking School, Tuesday, March 22 (visit the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension exhibit), Hopkins County Civic Center
– “Cooking Through the Seasons”, Friday, April 1, 9:30 a.m. registration, 10:00 a.m.start, ROC (Recreation Outreach Center) – registration information available in February.
– Do Well, Be Well with Diabetes series, April 4, 7, 11, 14, and 18, Extension Office,1:30 p.m.
– 55+ Health Fair, Tuesday, April 5, ROC (Recreation Outreach Center), 9:00 a.m. to noon
– Kids’ Safe Saturday, Saturday, April 9, Buford Park, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (be sure to visit both Extension exhibits!)
Whew! There is always something going on with your Texas A&M AgriLife Extension service! Our educational programs are open to all people without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Our theme is “Improving Lives, Improving Texas.”
Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.