Several Veterans Day remembrances are planned in Sulphur Springs and Hopkins County. Check back from time to time for additional activities. The current schedule includes:
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8560 at One Veterans Drive in Sulphur Springs will celebrate Veteran’s Day at 11am Wednesday November 11 at the flagpole on the grounds of the post home. The Military Coalition will present a tribute and gun salute, then the event will move indoors. Students from Travis Primary will be special guests. Veterans Service Officer Danny Davis will be speaker. A Hopkins County Stew lunch will be served to all free of charge. Military veterans are especially invited to be recognized, and the event is free and open to the public.
- The 7th annual Veteran’s Day Recognition at the Early Childhood Learning Center is planned for the morning of Tuesday November 10 in the Developmental Play Area. Students in Transitional First Grade will present a program at 9am for Head Start and Pre-K students, then again at 9:40am for local Veterans and community members. Military guests are welcome to enjoy breakfast treats before or after the program in the ECLC Parent Center.
- The annual recognition of Veterans by Wal-Mart is planned for Tuesday November 10 at 6pm at League Street Church of Christ.
- A Veteran’s Day ceremony at SSHS is planned for Wednesday November 11. A reception will be held at 12 noon in the High School Library with a program to begin at 1pm in the gymnasium. Special performances by the SSHS Band and various guests are also planned. The community is invited. Those who attend should park at the school’s main entrance on the east side of the campus. Overflow parking on Gerald Prim Stadium parking lot will include a shuttle service for Veterans and spouses. Current and veteran military members of the community will be recognized at the public event.
- There will be an traditional 11-11-11 ceremony and program downtown on Celebration Plaza on Veteran’s Day, beginning at 11am on Wednesday November 11 in front of the courthouse. The community event will include guest speakers and a patriotic tribute to Veterans.