During a celebration of the 120th birthday for the Hopkins County Courthouse Saturday, the courthouse was rededicated during a brief ceremony. State Senator Bob Hall read proclamations for the occasion from the State Senate and from Governor Greg Abbott. State Representative Dan Flynn donated a flag flow over the State Capitol. County Judge Robert Newsom read a resolution.
County officials (note picture, left to right, Danny Evans, Commissioner Precinct 4, Beth Wisenbaker, Commissioner Precinct 1, County Judge Robert Newsom, Wade Bartley, Commissioner Precinct 3, Mike Odell, Commissioner Precinct 2) and employees wore period costumes to commemorate the occasion. Shootouts, music, and various activities celebrated the day while the Celebration Plaza market and children playing at the plaza fountain, chess, and checkers continued in their weekly Saturday rituals.
Newsom honored the design of the courthouse and the commitment of county residents for maintaining the building. Built in 1895 at a cost of $75,000, Newsom noted that it could not be rebuilt for that today. The restoration of the courthouse during the days of then Governor George W. Bush cost over three million dollars. The local courthouse is listed as one of the top 10 courthouses in Texas.
Newsom called the courthouse the center of economic and social events for the county. He referred to photos that depict the town square filled with activity. He called the Veteran’s Memorial the most recent addition to the town square.