Marking the end of a two-year process, the County Line School Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony was held on April 12, 2015 on the site of the old school. The 65 persons present included some former County Line teachers and students. County Line School was established in 1897 as Rains County’s third district. Later, the original structure burned, and a two-story wooden schoolhouse was built on the property. It was built to serve as a school and as a place to hold community events. The upper story was used regularly for Woodmen of the World
meetings. A community tradition began in 1908 with the County Line New Year’s Stew and Singing, and it is still being held today on New Year’s Day. Although the County Line School building is now gone, many lives were affected by the tiny Northeast Texas school, and treasured memories abound.
Marker Committee members are Mary Kate Burns, Brandon Darrow, Gail Potts Garmon, Alvis Gilbert, Clinton Lennon and Lewis D. Watts.