More than 200 persons were present for Reilly Springs Cemetery Memorial Day services on the third Sunday in May at the quaint community where flags still fly and families still worship. Services were conducted in the sanctuary of the former Reilly Springs Methodist Church by members of the cemetery Board of Directors. Ted Boggs led the opening prayer, music and memories were presented by Bill Owens, Tonya Miller Ross brought the children up for a song, and Kim Morton and Rebel Roed presented roses to families. Among the oldest men and women were Warren King and Artie Mae Bailey, and the largest group was the Mary Koon family. Persons traveling the farthest came from Denver and Chicago. A stirring message was given by Pastor Lester Harper of the Reilly Springs Baptist Church. Afterward, attendees made their way across to the Reilly Springs Community Center where tables were spread with all kinds of foods and homemade desserts . The cemetery and public buildings in Reilly Springs are within walking distance of each other, along on a shady tree-lined lane.
The former Reilly Springs Schoolhouse is now a community center and houses a monthly Jamboree. The Baptist Church, located next door to the south, has an active congregation. The former Methodist church building across the way is now privately owned, and owners Terry and Leslie McCullough have preserved the sanctuary for community needs and use. The Reilly Springs Cemetery was established in 1863. The brick fence around the cemetery was commissioned by Finis Attlesee and built by Ted Boggs during the 1980’s. Much of the early history of the Reilly Springs Community placed on the site of Texas State Historical Association was contributed by the late local historian Florene Chapman Adams.
Bill Owens was among those enjoying the covered dish lunch Wanda Vanginault Alkire found a photo of her mother Ina Bryant Vanginault and best friend Reba Ponder in the Community Center’s photo display