Coach Art Briles has resigned as Head Football Coach and Athletic Director at Mount Vernon High School. The resignation was announced Monday (December 14). Briles, a former Baylor Head Football Coach who left there under a cloud of player sexual assault allegations, has coached the Tigers for the past two seasons compiling a 20-6 record. He was nearing the end of a two year contract and is said to be drawing college coaching interest, especially from Liberty University. Coach Briles led the Tigers to the Class 3A Division I state semi-final game last Friday in Arlington where Mount Vernon lost to Tuscola Jim Ned, 24-17. In a statement Coach Briles said he would be forever indebted to the great folks of Mount Vernon who welcomed him into their community with trust and open arms. He also expressed love for students, teachers, administrators and most importantly to players, coaches and trainers that dedicated their souls and spirit to achieve the vision of Tiger Grit. Coach Briles also thanked Superintendent Dr. Jason McCullough and the Mount Verson School Board for their belief and trust.
- Commissioners Approve ETCADA MOU, Non-Consent Towing Advisory Board Appointements, Home-Delivered Meal Grant Program
- Weaver Cemetery Association Veterans Memorial Dedication
- The Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccine And Booster Now Available
- Hopkins County, Other Local Taxing Entities To Receive Funding From Opioid Settlements
- Wildcats A and B Middle School Football Teams 7-0 With One Game Left Tuesday
- Lady Cats Volleyball Team Wins Second Five-Set Match of Season in Longview