Top honors at the 2020 Hopkins County Stew Contest went to super cooks LaWanna Hohenberger and Broc Hohenberger and Richard Brantley and Ashley Brantley. Wade Juarez captured the John Chester Campsite award.
Despite COVID-19 restrictions on the gathering, cooks turned out for a fun time. Even the weather cooperated. Friday’s storm and weather front dropped temperatures to the perfect stew weather on Saturday.
The Hopkins County Stew Contest winners are, by category as in order of announcement:
Campsite & Costume
- Campsite and costume — Phillip Gabbert, sponsored by VFW Post 8560; $200 prize provided by Super Handy
- John Chester Award for Super Campsite — Wade Juarez, sponsored by Diamond Bar J; $250 prize provided by Sulphur Springs Centre for Dance
- Honorable Mention Beef Stew Winner — Chris Holt, sponsored by Abboe’s Collision Center
- Third Place Beef Stew Winners — Jay Johnson and Rosemary Johnson,
sponsored by Martin Marietta; $100 prize money provided by State Representative Dan Flynn; stew purchased for $250 by Texas Farm Credit
- Second Place Beef Stew Winners — Whitney Preas and Wendall Preas, sponsored by B & T’s Tacos & Catering; $150 prize provided by Hampton Inn; stew purchased for $450 by Texas Heritage National Bank
- First Place Beef Stew Winners — Brent Williams and Andrea Adeyanjie, sponsored by Bulkley Trucking; $300 prize money by C-n-C Pro A/V; stew purchased for $600 by Dr. Liao Orthopedic Center
- Honorable Mention Chicken Stew Winners — Ethan Boatman and Toby Boatman sponsored by Toby Boatman Garage Doors
- Third Place Chicken Stew Winners — Sue Orwosky and Jamie Young, sponsored by Murray Orwosky Funeral Home; $100 prize provided by Jiffy Signs; stew purchased for $250 by Summit Dental
- Second Place Chicken Stew Winners — Jeannie Dickson and Judy Temples, sponsored by Davis Street Baptist Church; $150 prize provided by Hampton Inn; stew purchased for $450 by Legacy Ag Credit
- First Place Chicken Stew Winners — Brad Irving and Leah Irving, sponsored by Ocean Spray Cranberries; $300 prize provided by Professional Land & Title and Robinson Bennet Construction; stew purchased for $600 by Legacy Ag Credit
Super Beef Stew
- Honorable Mention: Super Stew Beef Winner — Garrett Glass, sponsored by Guaranty Bank & Trust
- Third Place Super Stew Beef Winners — Tonya & James Ross and Brent McClendon, sponsored by Alliance Bank; $100 prize sponsored by Hope Family Fellowship; stew purchased for $300 by Dr. Liao Orthopedic Center
- Second Place Super Stew Beef Winners — Steve Littlefield and James McMahan, sponsored by RE/MAX Advanced; $2500 prize sponsored by Moreland Fence; stew purchased for $500 by ONCOR.
- First Place Super Stew Beef Winners — Richard Brantley and Ashley Brantley, sponsored by American Towing and Tire, $500 prize provided by Peoples Communications; stew purchased for $900 by Clayton Homes.
Super Chicken Stew
- Honorable Mention Super Stew Chicken — Kimberly Kirkland and D’Anne Chaney, sponsored by Net Data
- Third Place Super Stew Chicken Winners — Kylie Smith and Katey Brown,
sponsored by Financial Solutions; $100 prize sponsored by Hope Family Fellowship; stew purchased for $300 by Dr. Liao Ortho
- Second Place Super Stew Chicken Winners — John Mark McAfee and Bambi McAfee, sponsored by McAfee Farms; $250 prize sponsored by First Baptist Church and Bright Star Baking Company; purchased for $500 by GDC Industrial
- First Place Super Stew Chicken Winners — LaWanna Hohenberger and Broc Hohenberger, sponsored by Bulkley Trucking; $500 prize provided by Circle E Western Wear; stew purchased for $900 by Interstate Body Shop.
Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce President/CEO Lezley Brown offered appreciation to the many sponsors and volunteers who helped make the 2020 Stew a success. Headline sponsors include: Jay Hodge Chevrolet, Atmos Energy, Brookshire’s, Chick-fil-A, City National Bank, Legacy Ag Credit and Saputo.
Recognized for providing the stew headquarters was Heritage Hospice.
Additional sponsors included: Alliance Bank and Galyean Insurance, Latson’s.com, Southwest Dairy Museum, Travel Time RV, Central Baptist Church, Rock Creek Health & Rehab, East Texas Physical Therapy, Brian Toliver Ford, Julia Wilhite State Farm, Landers Creek Outfitters, Hope Family Fellowship, KSST, 95.9 Star Country, Cheyenne Smithers with Preuss & Flecker, Renee Jennings with RE/MAX Advanced, ECHO Publishing, Miss Behavin, RE/MAX Advanced and The Propane Company.
Volunteers who helped in many different ways included members of Hopkins County High School Leadership Class, Sulphur Springs High School Blue Blazes and the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and Ambassadors.