Don Julian's Top 16 SSHS Sports Stories For 2019 Continues With #10-12
A review of the sports files recently produced a list of 16 top stories involving Wildcats and Lady Cats teams during 2019. The list began running Monday, Dec. 23, and will continue through the first day of the New Year, with additional . On January 2, a story will provide the entire list of 16
- Don Julian #12 SSHS Sports Story: Lady Cats Golfer Miriam Tran
- Number 12 on my list of top sports story for 2019 for SSHS teams is another good season by Lady Cats golfer Mariam Tran, a junior this year who was a sophomore last spring. Tran had another solid season as the best Lady Cats’ golfer for Coach Whitney Spigener. Tran ended up finishing in second place at the District Golf Tournament qualifying her for the April 22-23 Regional Tournament for a second straight year. At regional, Tran finished 17th. She was disappointed but that sometimes happens when one’s goals are set so high. Tran had hoped to make it to the State Golf Tournament last spring. I’m sure she will be taking aim at that target when golf gets underway this spring. My #12 best sports story for 2019 from SSHS, Lady Cats golfer Mariam Tran qualifies for the regional tournament.
- Don Julian #11 SSHS Sports Story: Wildcats and Lady Cats Cross Country Teams Qualify for Regional
- Continuing my look at my favorite sports memories from SSHS during 2019. My 11th ranked story is cross country, coached by Ross Hicks, as the Lady Cats and Wildcats both qualified for the regional meet at the district meet. The Lady Cats were quite impressive as they finished second at the district meet and then got a 17th place finish in the always highly competitive Region II Meet in Dallas on October 28. A mostly underclass Wildcats Cross Country team grabbed third place at the district meet to qualify for the regional meet. The Wildcats finished 18th against the tough field. A masterful job of coaching by Coach Hicks taking these teams made up mostly of young runners and getting them to he regional meet again this year. My 11th top story from SSHS for 2019, Wildcats and Lady Cats Cross Country Teams qualifying for the regional meet.
- Don Julian #10 SSHS Sports Story: Wildcats Golf Team Qualifies for Regional Tournament
- On the list at #10 for my top sports stories from SSHS for 2019, the Wildcats Golf Team of Coach Chris Owens qualifying for the regional tournament again this year. Battling illness, the Wildcats wound up in second place at the district meet to qualify for the regional golf tournament. Leader of the pack, Carter Lewis, shot 70 and 71 to win the district championship. Other team members were Colton Bench, Andrew Escobar, Kip Childress and Grant Mohesky. Like in other sports, Region II is a strong one and the Wildcats battled some terribly wet weather and had to play 27 holes on day two but still managed a sixth place finish in regional. Hats off to Coach Chris Owens for his fine work. Chris Owens has moved on to other things and has turned over the Wildcats Golf Team to Jeremy DeLorge, a good high school golfers who was a Lady Cats basketball assistant coach before becoming head Wildcats golf coach. My #10 sports story from SSHS for 2019, the Wildcats golf team qualifying for the regional golf tournament again this year.