Quite a bit of work is planned for roadways throughout the district during the week of April 22, according to a release from
TxDOT Paris District Public Information Officer Tim McAlavy.
Motorists are reminded to remain alert and pay special attention to all signs, barricades and traffic controls, and reduce their speed as they approach and travel through work zones. The TxDOT official also recommends driver avoid distractions such as cell phones, eating, drinking, or car audio or navigation systems — especially in or near work zones, for the safety of all motorists as well as that of workers.
Of course, weather conditions along with equipment failure or other unforeseen issues could impact work schedules. Barring those complications, McAlavy has provided the following list of planned road work, by county, to motorists prepare for their travels through those areas.
Sulphur Springs Area (Hopkins, Franklin Counties)
Contacts: Sulphur Springs Area Office (903) 885-9514; Franklin County Maintenance (903) 537-4976; Hopkins County Maintenance (903) 885-4031
- State Highway 37, Franklin County: From Mount Vernon to Winnsboro. Watch for lane closures and short traffic delays as crews perform striping operations; flaggers will direct traffic.
- State Highway 19, Hopkins County: At FM 71 in Birthright. Watch for lane closures and short traffic delays as crews begin performing milling operations and shoulder work for turn lane construction project.
Paris Area (Delta, Lamar, Red River Counties)
Contacts: Paris Area Office (903) 784-1357; Delta County Maintenance (903) 395-2139; Lamar County Maintenance (903) 785-4468; Red River County Maintenance (903) 427-3561.
- North Loop 286 and State Highway 19/Church Street, Paris, Lamar County: Watch for temporary lane closures while crews perform repairs to concrete pavement.
- US 271/Loop 286 Interchange, Paris, Lamar County: Watch for temporary lane and ramp closures while crews perform slope repairs.
- US 271 pavement repair, Lamar and Red River Counties: from Loop 286 in Paris southeastward to SH 37. Watch for temporary lane and/or shoulder closures as final work is being performed.
- FM 197, Lamar County: Watch for temporary lane closures as workers widen and reconstruct existing pavement.
- US 271 safety upgrades, Red River County: from FM 410 to the Red River-Titus County line. Watch for temporary lane and shoulder closures as work continues.
- State Highway 37 safety upgrades, Red River County: from the Texas-Oklahoma state line south to the Red River-Franklin County line. Watch for work zones as workers upgrade metal-beam guard fence, replace or extend new structures and install safety end treatments.
- FM 2648 widening, Lamar County: Watch for temporary lane closures as work continues. Pine Creek Bridge will be down to one lane in order to upgrade the bridge rail. Temporary traffic signals and signs will be in place to direct traffic.
- State Highway 24 expansion, Delta County: from Cooper, Texas, southwestward towards Commerce. Watch for work zones and drive safely through construction areas. Final surfacing of southbound lanes is in progress.
Greenville Area (Hunt, Rains Counties)
Contacts: Greenville Area Office (903) 455-2363; Hunt County Maintenance (903)455-2303; Rains County Maintenance (903) 473-2682
- State Highway 66 and FM 36, Hunt County: The new traffic lights at this intersection are flashing red, please be careful when crossing this intersection. The signal lights will be programmed for red-yellow-green operations after the railroad installs all necessary components for signal pre-emption at this intersection to keep traffic stopped at the light off of the railroad tracks.
- FM 2642 bridge/underpass project at I-30, Hunt County: from FM 1565 westward to the Hunt-Rockwall County line. Construction of bridge to route I-30 over FM 2642 is in the final stages. Please continue watching your speed while traveling through this construction area. Temporary traffic signals are in place at FM 2453 and FM 35 to aid detoured traffic.
- State Highway 19 pavement project, Rains County: from US 69 and State Highway 19 south to the Van Zandt County line. Crews have completed paving operations on the project. Final striping and rumble strips will be placed soon as weather permits. Crews are finishing up driveway paving. Additionally, mailbox installation and metal beam finishing work at some culverts is all that remains. Be cautious when driving across intersecting streets.
- ADA ramp construction, Hunt County: State Highway 11 in Commerce. Workers have completed installing ramps, sidewalks, steps, curb ramps, handrails, pedestrian push buttons and other pedestrian elements to aid the mobility of disabled citizens. Project manager will conduct a final pre-inspection for project acceptance to follow soon after.
- US 69, Hunt County: from O’Neal St. in Greenville to the intersection of US 69 and US 380. Work on this paving project is finishing up. Seeding has been completed and final punch list items will be addressed soon.
- State Highway 34 and FM 816, Hunt County: from State Highway 276 south to the Hunt-Kaufman County line on SH 34, and from SH 34 to the Hunt-Fannin County line on FM 816. Watch for temporary lane closures as workers install safety treatments on fixed objects.
- FM 1903 at Interstate 30, Hunt County: at the southeast corner of this intersection, a contractor will begin work April 8 to install concrete curb and a drainage flume. Please slow down and drive safely through this and other work zones.
Traffic Safety Notes
- State Highway 24 – Maintenance crews have placed rumble strips on SH 24 northbound near the Animal Services Barn of Texas A&M University-Commerce to caution drivers of vehicles crossing at that location.
- State Spur 1570 and State Highway 66 – to help the traveling public at this intersection, maintenance crews have placed rumble strips on FM 1570 and SS 1570 to alert drivers of the upcoming stop sign. They have also placed rumble strips on SH 66 and “intersection ahead” to help warn drivers traveling SH 66 of the intersection. Intersection ahead signs with flashing beacons will be installed at this location in the near future.
Sherman Area (Fannin, Grayson Counties)
Contacts: Sherman Area Office (903) 892-6529; Grayson County Maintenance (903) 893-8831; Fannin County Maintenance (903) 583-7566.
- FM 691, Grayson County: from FM 131/Loy Lake Road to US 75. Watch for temporary one-lane closures as workers continue widening FM 691 to an ultimate five-lane roadway. The intersection of FM 691 with FM 131/Loy Lake Road has been converted to a four-way stop intersection and will become a signalized intersection at the conclusion of the construction project.
- FM 1417, Grayson County: from FM 691 to US 82. Watch for traffic shifts and slow moving vehicles as workers widen the roadway from FM 691 to US 82.
- US 75 Ramp Reversal in Denison, Grayson County: on the southbound US 75 main lanes and frontage road between FM 120 and Crawford Street. Watch for shoulder closures and lane shifts as workers work on constructing the retaining walls and new on ramp for this project. The southbound US 75 exit ramp for Crawford Street is closed and traffic wishing to use this exit should use the FM 120 (Morton Street) exit.
- US 75 Ramp Reversal in Sherman, Grayson County: on the northbound US 75 main lanes and frontage road between Choctaw Creek and FM 1417. Watch for shoulder closures and lane shifts on the main lanes and a left lane closure on the frontage road as workers work on constructing the new exit ramp and entrance ramp. The existing ramps will remain open during construction of the new ramps.
- US 75 Full Depth concrete repair, Grayson County: crews will be working on US 75, weather permitting, each week from Sunday night thru Thursday night. Lane closures will be present during the nighttime only in order for crews to replace failed concrete locations. Lane closures begin at 7:30 p.m. and should be reopened to traffic by 6 a.m.
- US 75 debris pickup, Grayson County: from Collin County line to Oklahoma State line. Watch for mobile operations as workers pick up debris from the roadway every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the day-time.
- US 82 and US 69, Grayson County: from FM 131 to FM 1897 on US 82, and from SH 56 to US 75 on US 69. Watch for temporary day time lane closures and shoulder closures as workers install safety treatments on fixed objects.
- State Highway 56, Grayson County: from FM 901 to SH 289. Watch for temporary day-time lane closures as maintenance crews work on prepping the roadway for a seal coat this summer.
- US 69, Grayson County: from Spur 503 to US 82. Watch for temporary day-time lane closures as maintenance crews work on prepping the roadway for a seal coat this summer.
- State Highway 11, Grayson and Fannin County: from US 69 to SH 121. Watch for traffic shifts and occasional one-lane closures as workers rehab and widen the roadway.
- ADA Curb Ramp project, Grayson and Fannin County: various locations. Watch for shoulder closures and occasional lane closures as crews work in Bonham to install new sidewalks and curb ramps along State Highway 56 and State Highway 78.
- FM 1753, Grayson and Fannin County: from FM 1897 to State Highway 78. Watch for temporary one-lane closures as workers rehab and widen the roadway.
- US 82, Fannin County: from State Highway 121 to the Lamar County Line. Watch for slow moving construction equipment as crews work on widening US 82 from a two lane roadway to a four lane divided section. Watch for lane closures on FM 100, State Highway 78 and State Highway 121 as crews work to construct the new westbound US 82 bridge overpasses.
- FM 1752, Fannin County: from US 82 to FM 898. Watch for temporary one-lane closures as workers rehab and widen the roadway.
- State Highway 11, Fannin and Hunt County: from State Highway 78 to State Highway 34: Watch for daytime lane closures as crews work on overlaying the roadway with hot mix.
- FM 816 and Recreation Road 3, Fannin County: from Fannin-Hunt County line to State Highway 78 on FM 816, and from FM 273 eastward for two miles on Rec. Road 3 south of Lake Bonham. Watch for temporary lane closures as workers install safety treatments on fixed objects.
- County Road 2275 at Coffee Mill Creek, Fannin County: CR 2275 at Coffee Mill Creek is closed to traffic as crews work to replace the bridge.
- State Highway 34, Fannin County: from the Hunt County line to FM 68. Watch for temporary day-time lane closures as maintenance crews work on prepping the roadway for a seal coat this summer.