Every year, the Hopkins County Fall Festival features fun events for the entire family. This year’s event will begin with a ribbon cutting on Celebration Square at noon, Friday, October 19. The parade will take place on Saturday, October 20, and other events will take place throughout the week. Two of the highlights of the fair are the Arts & Crafts Show and the Creative Arts Contest. These are two totally separate events, but each equally awesome! Since I am the coordinator for both of these events, I want to encourage you to participate! This week’s column will feature the Creative Arts Contest.
The 2018 Fall Festival Creative Arts Contest will start with registration of items on Thursday, October 25, at the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Room, 4:30 to 6:00 p.m., and Friday, October 26, 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. No entries will be accepted after that time. Items may also be taken to the Extension Office, 1200 W. Houston, Monday thru Wednesday, October 22-24, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. if necessary.
Below are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
1) Due to space restrictions, entrants must be from Hopkins County.
2) Article may be exhibited only by the maker and must have been made within the past year (September, 2017 – October, 2018)
3) Participants may enter as many categories as desired, but may enter only one subclass in each category.
4) Age divisions are: children (age 10 and under); Youth (ages 11-19); Adults (ages 20-69); Older Texans (70 and above); nursing home and assisted living residents
5) Entries must be labeled using the color coded label provided at registration.
6) Entries will be judged beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, October 26. Each entry will be awarded a ribbon: White – good; Red – better; Blue – best. Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show will be selected from blue ribbon winners in each age division and category.
7) No professional exhibits allowed. (example: professional photographers, florists, etc.)
8) Items will be on display to the public in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center, Friday, October 26 after judging is complete – approximately 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., and Saturday, October 27, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Please leave items until this time so visitors can enjoy viewing them.
9) Pictures of Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show winners will be made at 1:30 p.m., after which all entries may be picked up. Items that are not picked up will be kept at the Hopkins County Extension Office, but we encourage you to pick them up at the school!
10) Creative Arts Committee members will be on hand during all public viewing times, but the Fall Festival Creative Arts Committee is not responsible for any damage that may occur during public viewing times.
Entry categories include:
- Art (no paint by number except in children’s and youth divisions): oil, water color, pen & ink, rub outs, pencil, acrylic, paper tole, crayon, spray paint, chalk, miscellaneous
- Bake Show (must be in disposable containers. Entries requiring refrigeration will not be accepted): breads, cakes, pies, cookies, candy
- Clothing Construction: classic/tailored; after-five; children’s wear, everyday (pajamas, casual); wearable art
- Creative Crafts: crafts, ceramics, stained glass, painted household accessories, miscellaneous
- Decorated Cakes (will NOT be cut)
- Food Preservation: vegetables, fruits, jams, preserves, fruit butters, jellies, pickles, relish, pickled vegetables, dehydrated foods, miscellaneous
- Handiwork: knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint, sewn items, beadwork, beaded jewelry, other
- Holiday/seasonal: Christmas, tablecloths, decorations, wreath/door hanging, nativity scenes
- Horticulture: agricultural produce, cut flowers, potted plans, hanging baskets, succulents, dried, gourds, herbs
- Photography (black & white, and color in each class): portrait, scenic, still life, animals, people, special effects, floral architectural, grouping
- Quilts: hand quilted, machine quilted, quilts with combination of stitching (hand & machine), baby quilts, quilted items
- Woodworking: kits, inlaid wood, mosaic wood art, furniture, wall hangings, wood carving, yard art, rustic art, birdhouses, toys, miscellaneous
- Nursing home and assisted living divisions: holiday, quilts, plastic art, handmade garments, accessories, needlework, leather craft, metal crafts, wood craft, art, weaving, miscellaneous
Please feel free to call if you have questions. We hope this is the best year ever!
Cooking Well with Diabetes
Each fall, I provide this four lesson series to help individuals with diabetes learn healthier cooking methods, learn to recognize high carbohydrate foods, and celebrate sensibly with diabetes. The series is scheduled for Mondays and Thursdays, September 10, 13, 17, and 20, at the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Hopkins County office, 1200 W. Houston, in Sulphur Springs. Two times are being offered to fit schedules of those attending: 1:30 or 6:00 p.m. Cost for the series is $25 which covers materials, cooking demonstrations, sampling, and door prizes. Please call 903-885-3443 to sign up.
Love is what makes you smile when you’re tired – Terri, age 4