Over $20,000 in funded Grants for Great Ideas were distributed Tuesday by the Sulphur Springs ISD Education Foundation. Foundations members Ryan McKenzie, Don Sapaugh, Miki Eddins, John Campbell, and Gena Prickette accompanied by SSISD Human Resource and Communication Director Rusty Hardin and Superintendent Mike Lamb made surprise visits to various campuses in the school district.
This is the second year the foundation has presented grants for creative and innovate concepts that are teacher driven.
Grants were presented to:
- Shelby Gibson, Travis School Librarian, for a reading project targeting bi-lingual students. She received $3,000.
- Mary Jenkins, Sulphur Springs High School counselor, for “Canine Counselors” a project using therapy dogs in the school setting. She received $2,356.
- Suzy Rost, a Bowie PE teacher, for “Drum Fit” a project utilizing large drums, rhythm and movement. She received $3,179.54.
- Karen Anderson and Kimberlea Gillem, Lamar Second Grade teachers, for “Permissionless Fieldtrip” a project using Virtual Reality goggles to visit sites all over the world. They received $2,663.28
- Misty Teer and Cheryl Blount, Early Childhood Learning Center teachers, for “Pasture to Play Space” a project turning an unused field into an interactive teaching playscape. They received $2,484.29.
- Derek Driver, SSHS Principal, for a mentoring program pairing community members with high school students. He received $1,000.
- Kelly Shutt, an SSMS math teacher, for “little Bits of Mega Bytes” a project in which students will use magnetic electronic components such as motors, switches, lights and speakers to invent solutions to real world problems involving math and science. She received $2,232.45.
- Coco Gunn, a PE teacher at Sulphur Springs Elementary School, for “outdoor education” a project that will teach children outside activities for lifetime fitness: fishing and disk golf. She received $1,500.21
Funding for the Foundation comes from the community. For more information visit their website:SSISDeductionfoundation.com.