If you desire to vote in the November General Election there are several things that are important and deadlines are looming.
Registration for the November election ends October 11th at 4:30 p.m. the Hopkins County Tax Office. You have until then to register. Also according to Debbie Shirley, Hopkins County Clerk, if you are unable to secure the seven forms of approved photo ID, you now have additional options for voting in person. If you do not have the photo ID, you may vote by signing a Reasonable Impediment Declaration explaining why the voter is unable to obtain one of the seven forms of ID or provide one of the various forms of supporting documentation such as:
- a copy of a current utility bill,
- a copy of an original bank statement,
- a copy of or original government check, or a copy of or original paycheck.
The seven forms of approved Photo ID are:
- a Texas driver’s license,
- an election identification certificate issued by DPS,
- a personal identification card issued by DPS,
- a license to carry a handgun issued by DPS,
- US military ID containing the person’s photograph,
- US citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph,
- or a US passport.
The photo ID may now be expired for four years instead of the previous time period of 60-days.
Early voting will take place October 24 through Friday November 4th, 8 am. Until 5 p.m. each day with exceptions. Tuesday November 1st and Thursday, November 3rd early voting hours are 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. The early voting place will also be open Saturday, October 29th from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Sunday, October 30th from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. Early voting will take place in the Justice of the Peace Courtroom located in the county annex building on Jefferson Street. The General Election day this year is November 8th when the 14 voting places in Hopkins County will be open 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.
The 14 voting centers in Hopkins County are:
- Lutheran Church, 1000 Texas Street
- Wesley Methodist Church, 614 Texas Street
- VFW Bingo Hall, Veterans 1, Veterans Drive
- Senior Citizens Building, 150 MLK Blvd.
- Courthouse, 118 Church Street
- Grace Family Church, 1901 Loop 301 E
- Civic Center, 1200 Houston Street
- League Street Church of Christ, 1100 S. League
- Saltillo ISD, 150 CR 3534
- Cumby Municipal Bldg. 100 E Main St. Cumby\
- Sulphur Bluff ISD, 1027 CR 3550
- Como-Pickton CISD, 13017 TX Hwy 11 E. Como
- Miller Grove ISD, 7819 FM 275 S.
- North Hopkins ISD 1994 FM 71 W