Sulphur Springs City Council will discuss and set rates for a number of budget items and will hear the first reading of Ordinance 2693 amending and replacing the Food and Food Establishment ordinance for the city during their Tuesday, September 6th Council meeting.
City Manager Marc Maxwell told KSST News that the new food establishment ordinance will give enforcement more teeth. The need for a stronger ordinance stems from an issue several months old. Maxwell said the new ordinance has nothing to do with a sign posted in the window of a now empty building that once housed a restaurant in downtown Sulphur Springs. That establishment’s issues were not as great at the issues that fostered the need for a stronger ordinance, The issue that generated the replacement ordinance was food temperature . A restaurant not in the downtown district was not keeping certain meats at the correct temperature. They were sighted for the infraction and corrected the issue for two days. They then returned to their previous error. Maxwell said the ordinance will allow the city to shut down a restaurant if and when necessary.
In other action the city hear first readings on ordinances for water and sewer rates and the final discussion of tax rates, budget appropriations, and other budgetary items.
The complete agenda for the council:
The regular meeting of the Sulphur Springs City Council will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 6, 2016 in the Council Room at 201 North Davis Street. The following items will be discussed:
- Pledge of Allegiance to the United States Flag, Texas Flag, and invocation.
- Presentations, proclamations, and announcements.
- Manager’s report will include status report of capital improvements, wastewater treatment plant operations, accidents and claims for the month, and a review of expenditures and revenues.
- Discussion/action on Consent Agenda.
- Discussion/action on public hearing for second and final reading of Ordinance No. 2686, an ordinance providing for the issuance and sale of City of Sulphur Springs, Texas Combination Tax and Surplus Revenue Certificates of Obligation, Series 2016; bearing interest at the rates hereinafter set forth; to secure funds for the purpose of paying contractual obligations incurred to fund wastewater system improvements, and for paying legal, fiscal, architectural and engineering fees in connection with such projects; prescribing the form of certificates of obligation; levying ad valorem taxes and pledging surplus net revenues of the City’s waterworks and sewer system for the payment of principal and interest on the certificates of obligation; making certain other covenants of the City with respect to the certificates of obligation, the funds from which said certificates of obligation are to be paid and the projects to be funded with the certificates of obligation; execution of a paying agent/registrar agreement and escrow agreement; awarding sale of said certificates of obligation; providing an effective date; and enacting other provisions relating thereto.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2687, the appropriations ordinance for the City of Sulphur Springs fiscal year 2016-2017.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2688, setting the tax rate for the City of Sulphur Springs.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2689, setting the water rate for the City of Sulphur Springs.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2690, setting the sewer rate for the City of Sulphur Springs.
- Discussion/action on first reading of ordinance No. 2691, setting the sanitation rate for the City of Sulphur Springs.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2692, authorization of updated service credits.
- Discussion/action on first reading of Ordinance No. 2693, an ordinance amending the amending the Sulphur Springs Zoning Ordinance by replacing in its entirety Chapter 13, Article 1, entitled Food and Food Establishments, repealing all other ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict herewith.
- Discussion/action on proposals and award of contract for administrative services for the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) HOME Reservation Program Grant, RSP Agreement #2015-0118.
- Discussion/action on Asset Forfeiture Budget.
- Discussion/action on the Economic Development Corporation Budget.
- Discussion/action on bids and award of contract for replacement of library roof.
- Discussion/action on Resolution No. 1115 approving the submission of a grant application to the Criminal Justice Division for body cameras and storage and designating the Mayor as the authorized signatory official.
- Visitors/public forum.