Creative Arts Contest – What will YOU Enter?
What a refreshing rain we recently received! Gardens have perked up, and lawns all across the county have been rejuvenated. Cooler weather has energized many folks, which puts us in the mindset for autumn. Autumn reminds us of back-to- school, beautiful fall leaves, sweaters, sports events, and refreshing temperatures, which remind us of…Fall Festival!
As the Creative Arts Contest chairman, I want to invite Hopkins County residents to begin plans to enter this popular event. Even though Fall Festival is still two months away, now is the time to begin plans for entering! There is a category for anything you would like to enter:
· Art (oil, water color, ink, pencil, acrylic, crayon, rubout, spray paint, miscellaneous)
· Bake Show (breads, cakes, pies, cookies, candies)
· Clothing (classic/casual, after-five, children’s wear, specialty, wearable art)
· Creative Crafts (ceramics, stained glass, plastics, candles, leather, metal, painted household accessories, miscellaneous)
· Decorated Cakes (will not be cut – judged on appearance, difficulty, originality, and workmanship)
· Food Preservation (vegetables, fruits, jams, preserves, butters, jellies, pickles, relish, dehydrated foods, miscellaneous)
· Handiwork (knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint, sewn items, beadwork, other fabric/fiber art)
· Holiday/Seasonal (Christmas, nativity scenes, tablecloths, decorations – any other holiday, wreath/door hanging)
· Horticulture (vegetables, fruits, nuts, cut flowers, potted plants, hanging baskets, succulents, dried, gourds, herbs)
· Photography (portrait, scenic, still life, animals, people, special effects, floral, architectural, grouping)
· Quilts (hand quilted, machine quilted, combination stitching, baby quilts, quilted items)
· Scrapbooks (seasonal, collective, memorabilia)
· Woodworking (kits, inlaid wood, mosaic wood art, furniture, wall hangings, carvings, yard art, rustic art, birdhouses, toys, misc.)
We also have a division for nursing home and assisted living residents, which will be judged separately.
Entries will be accepted Thursday, October 20, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., and Friday, October 21, from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center. If you are unable to bring items during those times, alternate times are Monday, October 17 thru Wednesday, October 19 at the Extension Office, 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. No entries will be taken at the Extension Office after that date – they must be taken to the High school. Judging will take place on Friday morning, and items will be open for public viewing from approximately 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., Friday afternoon, thru Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Best of Show pictures will be taken at 1:30, after which items may be picked up.
Participation is open only to Hopkins County residents due to space limitations. Entry fee is only $1 per person, and an individual may enter as many categories as they wish. Age divisions are: Children (age 10 & under); Youth (ages 11-19); Adult (ages 20 – 69); Mature Texans (ages 70 & up); and Nursing home/assisted living residents.
Contact my office for more details, but start planning now. We want this year to be the best ever!
4-H Achievement Banquet
One of the highlights of the year is our annual 4-H Achievement Banquet, where we recognize our Hopkins County 4-H members who have completed projects, applied for special awards, and excelled on district and state levels. The 4-H program has deep roots in Hopkins County, and we are looking forward to recognizing all the hard work of our youth and supporters. The banquet is scheduled for Saturday, August 27, 6:00 p.m., at League Street Church of Christ. We will have a meal, guest entertainer, Exchange Trip presentation, and awards ceremony. Please contact our office if you would like to attend – 903-885-3443.
Enrollment for the 2016/2017 4-H year will be available at http://4honline.com by the end of August. We currently have five 4-H clubs from which to choose: Arbala Harvest (meets 3rd Monday at the Arbala Community Center), Dike (meets 1st Saturday at the Dike Community Center), Infinity (meets 2nd Monday at the Extension office), Miller Grove (meets 1st Tuesday at the Miller Grove School), and Paws (meets 3rd Thursday at the Sulphur Springs Elementary School).
“Don’t put the key to happiness in someone else’s pocket” – unknown
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Family & Consumer Sciences
1200-B W. Houston
Sulphur springs, TX 75483
903-885-3443 – phone
903-439-4909 – Fax