Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Offers Upcoming Workshops & Events
When individuals ask what Texas A&M AgriLife Extension does, we often find it difficult to put in a couple of sentences! The truth is, we offer many educational workshops, programs, camps, special events, and newsletters. Our honorable county judge told our staff that we are the envy of East Texas – now that’s saying something!
The month of August brings several opportunities for involvement, so I’ll just jump in and start describing each one:
1) Hopkins County 4-H Day Camp: Friday, August 7, Cooper Lake – South Sulphur Unit. We’ll plan on meeting there around 9:00 a.m., or those who wish to carpool may meet our staff at the Extension Office at 8:30 a.m. Bring a swim suit, towel, sack lunch, and $5. Our County 4-H Council has lots of activities planned. It should be a great day. Please call 903-885-3443 to let us know how many from your family will be attending.
2) Basic Sewing Workshop: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, August 10-12, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office. We’ll get started around 8:30 a.m. and end around noon, or for those who wish to stay, we could spill over into the afternoon (except on Wednesday). We have 8 sewing machine available, but you are welcome to bring your own. A make-and-take project will be available on the first day. We’ll cover sewing basics (see last week’s column for details). Bring $10 and a sack lunch. Drinks will be provided.
3) Extension Committees, 4-H Leaders, Master Volunteers, 4-H Council members: Thursday, August 13, 6:00 p.m., Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office. We’ll meet for our annual mid-year update and meal. We’ll throw in a little fun, too! Invitations will be sent, so please be sure to RSVP so we’ll know how many to prepare for.
4) Cooking Well with Diabetes Series: Mondays & Thursdays, August 17, 20, 24, and 27, 1:30 p.m., Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office. Learn how to prepare healthy, tasty foods for individuals with diabetes (or anybody for that matter!) Cooking demonstrations and recipe sampling are included. Cost of the series is $25 to help cover costs of ingredients, materials, and sampling. Please call by Wednesday, August 12, to sign up.
5) Do Well, Be Well with Diabetes Series: Mondays & Thursdays, August 17, 20, 24,27, and 31, 6:00 p.m., Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office. This five topic series will cover nutrition and self-care components. Great for individuals with diabetes, caregivers, or loved ones! Cost is $25 which covers materials, refreshments, and give-away items. If you choose to attend both series, a discount of $5 per series will be given. Please call by Wednesday, August 12, to sign up.
6) Twogether in Texas Marriage Education workshop: Saturday, August 22, 8:30 a.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m., Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office. This has been a very popular workshop, not only because of the valuable information, but also because engaged couples can save $60 upon applying for a marriage license. Topics covered include Marriage Expectations, Communication, Conflict Resolution, Money Management, and Goals & Dreams. The workshop is free and is targeted toward engaged couples, married couples, or seriously dating couples. Lunch will be provided, so if you sign up, please come!
7) County 4-H Achievement Banquet: Saturday, August 29, 6:30 p.m., Theme – “Green Carpet Gala”, League Street Church of Christ. Hopkins County 4-H members will be recognized for their achievements and participation during the 2014/2015 4-H year, and awards will be given for Outstanding Junior, Outstanding Intermediate, and Rookie of the Year, as well as Outstanding 4-H Supporter and Outstanding 4-H Leader. A dinner and slide show will highlight the event.
More opportunities will be available in September and October, so keep watching!
Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show
Applications have been coming in from all across the county and state, but you still have time to get in on the action! If you have handmade items that you would like to show and sell, contact my office for the official guidelines and application. The Hopkins County Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show is a featured event and will take place on October 23 and 24, at the Sulphur Springs High School.
Perhaps you don’t want to sell anything, but you enjoy shopping for that one-of-a-kind gift. This is the perfect place to find the perfect item! Contact my office at 903-885-3443 and I’ll be glad to send you the information. Also watch media in the coming weeks to discover all the great activities for the 2015 Hopkins County Fall Festival!
“It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let thing happen to them. They went out and happened to things” – Elinor Smith