County Judge Robert Newsom agreed that Hopkins County has the highest hotel/motel tax and would have the highest sales tax should Senate Bill 1158 be approved as it is written and the tax approved by Hopkins County voters. Newsom also told KSST/Channel 18 news and ksstradio.com that the sales tax would only role back the county property tax for the current year. The tax revenue from the potential additional sales tax could only be used to pay for the jail and could not be used for the general fund. He said the county could raise property taxes as soon as the next year and that evaluation of property could also increase what property owners would pay the county in taxes.
School Start Countdown
- Billy Don Williams
- FDA Finalizes Rule Improving Access To OTC Hearing Aids
- HCSO: Sulphur Springs Man Caught Hauling A Stolen Trailer
- Students Register for Fall Classes at Paris Junior College
- Request For Special Use Permit For Manufactured Home Community Withdrawn
- Interim Director Appointed For Senior Citizens Center