On January 17, 2018, Craig Johnson filed the necessary paperwork with the Sulphur Springs City Secretary to run for reelection to Place 1 on the Sulphur Springs City Council. (Video Interview with Channel 18 News below.)
Craig’s first and only reason for running for reelection is to continue to work to make Sulphur Springs a better place for those of us who live, work and visit our great city and to make it a better place for our children and grandchildren
Craig Johnson is a 4th generation native of Hopkins county and is finishing his 3rd term on the City Council. While serving on the city council, Craig has served 2 terms as Mayor. Craig is married and has two children and works as a Financial Advisor for Edward Jones.
Craig has kept every campaign promise made when he first ran in 2009. Those promises were:
- fight any property tax increases (city property taxes have remained the same for the last 14 years)
- promote economic growth and opportunity in the city
- make city government more citizen friendly and focused
In addition, Craig has been involved, either directly or indirectly in the following activities:
- Rebirth and revitalization of the heart of our city
- Creation of the Rotary Claws for a Cause
- Gift of the Luminant Mine property to the city
- Refurbishing the old public library into city hall and ensuring that only departments with interactions with the public were located there
- More humane euthanasia policies/methods at the animal shelter
- Enactment of improved environment policies and building/maintenance codes enabling city officials the ability to clean up public nuisance properties
- Finally added teeth to the city’s public health code to address restaurants that were preparing food in unhealthy kitchens
- Passed an ordinance protecting citizens from payday and auto loan businesses engaging in unfair and predatory lending.
If reelected, Craig will continue his work to make Sulphur Springs a better place by focusing on maintaining or lowering tax rates, promoting economic growth and steady improvements of all areas of the city, including:
- Complete and begin implementation of the comprehensive plan
- Find suitable location, design and raise funds for a new Senior Citizens Center
- Continue to rebuild one major street per year
- Continue to work with city staff to review each department for improved citizen service and efficiency
- Expand the summer paving program
- Continue to develop and improve downtown
- Continue to support, encourage and promote the Sulphur Springs Economic Development Corporation.
Craig was quoted saying, “I will not take anyone’s vote for granted and will work over the coming months to earn our citizen’s continued support.”
For more information please visit www.goodgovernment75482.com or www.facebook.com/goodgovernment75482.